Canoe on top of motorhome - European trip

GraemeM

We are off at the end of the month to France, Italy and who know where for 6 months.

Just thinking about putting the canoe on the roof. Did a test and it's not too hard to get it up there.

But, just started to wonder what issues we may face ie security, rules, height restrictions. We have a Compass Calypso which is already 2910mm high already, this would add 400mm to that.

Any advice from the good people of this forum much appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme

The height would make a difference if you plan to use French motorways because it would push you above 3 meters and therefore make you Category Three rather than Category Two for purposes of tolls.

Height is detected automatically at Toll charging points, which are increasingly automated, so the machine would automatically grade you as Cat 3 and charge accordingly.

At a guess this would cost you about 30% extra in toll charges.

Hi

I take it you do mean a canoe and not a kayak? There is a big difference in profile and thus windage. In either case it can make a big difference in fuel consumption and you will also be more susceptible to side winds ( canoes can have quite big side profiles). You have to balance this off with how much you would use it or have the opportunity to use.

We use to carry kayaks for running the rivers and we had a pretty good idea about how much and where we would use. Also carried windsurfers when travelling in western France as lots of opportunities to use. Sooo we used to decide what to take based on probable useable - the result being if we did not think we would use enough to make it worth while we wouldn't bother.

Remember to travel with it upside down. I once carried a kayak the right way up and it rained. I was stunned by the weight of water it collected.

Never again.

Food for thought

In any event have a great trip.

Peter

Archived