Solar panel options

Petest

I've been reading some of the past discussions on solar panels and have decided to take the plunge and get a kit.

Can anyone recommend a kit that they have purchased? How has it performed?

I'm thinking of a 100w kit to supplement the 110ah battery. We've booked 5 days away at a site with no hook up so it's an ideal excuse to convince SWMBO that getting one is a necessity.

We have been using solar for years, we don't use masses of power, just lights, tv, water pump, blown air heating and phone chargers, for most of the year we happly survive on a 85w panel and PWM regulator, but with panels now down in price would probably get 100w or maybe bigger, don't get talked into an expensive MPPT regulator, they offer little if anything better until you get up to 200w and bigger.

Do check the size and weight of panels, I've seen some cheap ones about that where very inefficient and where quite big and heavy for the output.

Best bit of advice that I have ever been given about solar panels, is to fit the largest one that can be fitted on the roof. Don't think that an 85 watt will do, get the biggest possible; the extra cost is minimal and the increased capacity will save your bacon on dull, short days.

As has already been said....as big as will fit on your roof.  It's better to have more than you need than be away wishing you had gone for a bigger panel.  Also make sure whoever fits it (assuming it's not a self fit in which case you probably know this already) get them to fit a "battery master" at the same time.  This will ensure your habitation battery/ies are charged and also keep your vehicle battery charged.  Getting it fitted at the same time as the panel means it's cheaper than having it done at a later date. 

RogerC - 2016-03-05 5:48 PM ....as big as will fit on your roof...

Weight should always be a consideration when choosing motorhome accessories because payload is so precious.

Fit an extra solar panel and/or an extra leisure battery only when you really need them.

Archived