Urgent help required.

Archiesgrandad

Am preparing the van to be brought back to the UK by lowloader in the next couple of weeks for it's MOT and possible sale. All was going well until yesterday when having moved the van I couldn't get the handbrake to hold, the ratchet won't hold. After at bit of dismantling I can find no signs of wear, but it won't hold.

It's a 1997 Pilote Galaxy on a Peugeot Boxer 320ML chassis with only 47000 miles on the clock.

Are there any tweaks or fixes to sort it out, or should I start an urgent hunt for a replacement?

Your urgent help would be appreciated.

AGD

Does the ratchet click as you apply the handbrake (without holding the button)?

If you get no click then perhaps the spring has malfunctioned. You should get about 5 clicks for the handbrake to be fully on.

I assume the rear brakes are drum and not a combination of drum (handbrake) / disc (hydraulic).

Whatever type, the handbrake mechanism within the drum will be lever operated. It's most likely that the lever system has seized. In which case, you will need to remove the drum and lubricate the lever system.

It might be worth jacking up each rear wheel in turn to see the effectiveness of the handbrake on each wheel.

I think you will find that the handbrake lever is standard SEVEL, albeit possibly re-sited from a central position to the offside of the driver's seat.

If you want a quick fix, and as you seem to have dismantled the handbrake already, why not take the parts, plus the VIN, to the nearest dealer for Fiat (or whichever SEVEL partner badged the chassis), and see if you can get a replacement.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the spring itself to be available (but you never know!), but would think a complete handbrake lever should be.

Thank you guys. Having removed the lever assembly I was able to carefully remove the rivet on which the pawl pivots, re-profile the end of the pawl on a grindstone, and re-assemble it. It works beautifully, with lovely firm clicks when you pull the handle up, and I will put it back on the van tomorrow, or whenever the bl--dy rain stops, and it hasn't cost a bean.

Many thanks guys, I was in a bit of a panic because we are standing -by to load the van onto the low loader any day now, and the thought of waiting for parts from Peugeot was giving me nightmares.

AGD

Archived