Still having heating problems

Lizzie

The last time i posted in early February we had problems with heating and leak after getting van back from dealer. It transpired the leak was because they had not connected boiler back up to water so at least that problem was solved. The thermal cut out was replaced (appparently this only goes when heating used without water and this will have happened as water had not been connected when getting fixed) and dealer checked heating was working the next few days as fault had been intermittant. They showed it working when we collected.

This weekend was our first opportunity to take it out of storage and away for two nights. The heating did not work - kept cuuting out. Heating came on for varying times, you hear a click or two, power surge and then it cuts out with the red fault light on.

New gas bottle, water in system, gas cooker etc all working. What on earth can the problem be? Also, does anyone know of a mobile engineer or caravan/ motorhome workshop near to Gatwick?

What type of gas are you using, butane or propane?

If using butane, it will not vaporise well at current temperatures and cause the boiler to cut out.

Also, when the gas bottle gets low in contents, the pressure tends to reduce and gives similar symptoms.

Does it still fault when you are on Mains EHU?

I just wondered if it was a 12v power issue related to the battery (being drained down by the Blower Motor?). When on EHU it would be charging the battery back up as it discharged so the problem not arise?

That might also explain why it is intermittent, and why it worked ok at the Dealers, on presumably a full battery? Maybe they even did the demo to show it was working while on EHU?

What do you mean by a 'Power Surge' when you write - "hear a click or two, power surge and then it cuts out with the red fault light on...."

I live fairly near Gatwick and have used a mobile service technician called Chris.

His company is Leisure-Tec who can be contacted on 01737-779619 or 07956-894064.

He used to a do a lot of work for Chichester Caravans, Redhill but they have now closed.

I don't know if Chris is still operating but it's worth a call. He gave my fridge a service and I was pleased with his work.

It sounds as if you may have a problem with the PCB (printed circuit board) located on the Truma boiler.

There was a thread circa Dec 15 about a guy who lives in France with a similar problem. I'll try and find it unless someone else beats me to it.

Lizzie - 2016-03-06 9:51 PM

By power surge i just mean the noise of the heating gets louder as if it is trying reaaly hard then cuts out.

I understand the heat is produced using Gas, but the blower motor or pump will still be using 12v power, as, most likely, will the Electronic control unit?

Since the OP's van is 14 years old it probably has a gas regulator connected directly to the bottle (unless it's since been converted to a bulk head regulator).

The Truma boiler consumes a lot of gas in space heating mode, and if it doesn't receive the required amount of gas, it shuts down. Other low demand gas appliances would still work as normal.

Over time all gas regulators will become less efficient being subject to oiley residue and other deposits.

I suggest the OP addresses the simple things first and replaces the regulator or if possible loans a regulator from a supplier as a test.

My 2002 van suffered a Truma space heating malfunction. I replaced the regulator and everything worked again.

Well that makes me even more suspicious of the 12v power?

If the PCB electronic controller (usually with some thermostat control at that age of vehicle?) has already been replaced AND you hear a 'Surge' of some sort, that may suggest either that the Electronics are seeing some kind of Voltage surge and shutting down or that the reverse is happening with a drop in Voltage so shutting down.

From your description of a 'Power Surge', I can't see it being a Gas supply issue, but something outside the Heater? Like : Poor connection, malfunctioning power supply, poor battery, etc

Is the issue worse or better when on EHU? If it is worse that might indicate voltage regulation issues in the Charger/Power supply giving out random higher voltages affecting the Electronic control unit?

If it is better, that might suggest better voltage/current availability helping stabilise the Electronics in the Heater unit?

If EHU makes no difference it may be some kind of wiring issue, outside the Heater?

We have never tried it without electric hook up as we have only stayed at sites with it because we wouldnt be able to heat van if the gas heating did not work. We are taking it back to dealer on wednesday. Fingers crossed. Trouble is they were so convinced it was working after last fix and they checked it over several days. I imagine they were checking without hook up so will query that.

Archived