Ducato/Boxer neck wetting!

Barry38

I suspect many owners of the X250 van conversions have like me, been well and truly "anointed " by rain or moisture dripping off the roof and sidewall immediately above the sliding side door and down the inside of the door lining.

I have devised an in-obtrusive gutter that neatly fits under the awning or step light above the door which works a treat if a bit fiddly to make.

Simply purchase a suitable length of PVC cable trunking (about 50x50 mm section and 100mm longer than door width) with a clip on lid. Remove the lid and grind off one of the return edges of same to end up with a piece of 'L' section which will have about a 12/15mm up-stand. Shape to fit above the door recess onto the body panel and silicone the edges. Secure to the underside of the bodywork leaving about 50mm overrun on each end. I used 4 stainless self tap screws to secure. It is easy to make a really neat job and a couple of coats of matching body paint from Halfords finishes the job. It is difficult to tell that it is not part of the original vehicle design - and most importantly my neck stays dry!

I have a length of closed cell self adhesive foam stuck to top edge just inside door frame, this stops almost all water getting to inside of door and is almost impossible to see when door is closed, Took a few minutes to fit.

A useful self-adhesive flexible plastic guttering by the foot is available from companies like this:

http://www.abp-accessories.co.uk/product.php?cat=12

Works extremely well over the Ducato van sliding door and the black version matches any black plastic on the van quite nicely. Available in black or white. Have no connection with company only a pleased customer with purchase of the said item.

Black L-shaped strip with sticky strip attachment is available from Todds Leisure in Preston, for £6.99, pre-cut to the length of the Ducato door. Simple to attach, so far it has stayed put, seems very firm - and works pretty well.

Archived