Mobilveta Euroyacht 175 LX

Archiesgrandad

Just spotted a Euroyacht 175 LX for sale on Autoscout 24, and it could be just the van to replace the Pilote.

It's 1998 on an Iveco chassis, but there is no indication of the gross weight. Could one of you guys take a look through your back copies etc to see if you can work out whether or not it might be under 3.5 tonnes. I've tried to look it up on the internet, but I'm hopeless at it, and I need to know before I start chasing around France , talking to foreigners etc.

Many thanks

AGD

There was a 3.5 GVW of the daily back then but Looking up a 98 MMM buyers guide No GVW listed only payload. Euroyacht came in three sizes

140- 487kg payload probably on the 3500 kg GVW chassis.

170- 1130kg PL probably on the 4000kg GVW

180- 1100kg PL probably on the 4000kg GVW.

Allowing for the usual makers optimism on ULW I doubt the 140 has much payload and the bigger ones are too big.

The Euroyacht was built on two different base vehicles . the 140 gvw 3500kg on a FWD Ducato

The 170 175 180 on the RWD Iveco daily chassis with gvw 4000kg.

The rear wheels are the giveaway.

The Ducato has a single wheel at the back. Dished outwards like the front

The Iveco rear axle has twin wheels bolted back to back and the outer has a deep inward dish that can be seen in photographs.

See: http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/caravans-en-kamperen/campers-overige-merken/mobilvetta-euro-yacht-175-camper-135231441.html

This 2014 discussion relating to a 1998 Euroyacht may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Axle-weights-/36008/

It seems likely that all Euroyacht 170/175 motorhomes left the Mobilvetta factory with a maximum overall weight of 3500kg, and as the motorhome you mention is being sold in France

http://www.truckscout24.com/vehicle-details/Caravans-Campers-Mobilvetta-Euroyacht-175-LX-Semi-Integrated/16158329/2

it’s a racing certainty that this vehicle will not have been uprated beyond 3500kg.

These motorhomes are based on a hefty Iveco twinned-rear-wheel ‘truck’ chassis with little regard to constructional weight-saving and I’d be extremely wary of potential payload issues at the 3500kg limit.

There’a a buyer’s guide here

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/30495-used-van-buyers-guide-mobilvetta-euroyacht-motorhome

Spadge

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that when your 3500kg GVW Euroyacht was MOT-tested its weight was measured at 3486kg, leaving just 14kg of extra ‘payload’ available.

It’s unlikely that the weight of the Euroyacht in the French advert will differ significantly from your vehicle’s, which means that AGD would need to be ultra careful about loading it or ignore the probability that it’s going to exceed the 3500kg maximum in normal use.

Although SVTech advised you that your motorhome’s 3500kg weight-limit could be uprated to 3850kg, the chances of this approach being authorised in France are minimal as the French rules regarding uprating are far stricter than the UK’s. So, even if AGD has an ‘over 3500kg’ driving-licence entitlement, taking a French-registered 3500kg Euroyacht beyond that weight limit will almost certainly be a non-starter.

George Collings - 2016-03-11 11:30 PM

If the first line figure of 14kg effective payload is correct just the driver boarding would put it well overweight..

That’s what was said...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Axle-weights-/36008/

I have a 1996 copy of “Which Motorcaravan” magazine and the Mobilvetta entry in the buyer’s gude listing indicated that Euroyacht 170 and 190 models were then being marketed in the UK (in LHD) by Don Amott. The base vehicle was said to be an Iveco 40.12 and the payload was quoted as 1130kg for the 170 and 1100kg for the 190. However, what firm evidence there is points to Iveco-based Euroyachts marketed in the late-90s being plated at 3500kg, which - given the vehicle’s specification - would make a large usable payload very doubtful.

It’s probable that the Euroyacht 175 in the AutoScout24 advert is plated at 3500kg and - if that’s so - there’s every reason to think it will have been operated at that weight since 1998. French motorcaravanners (being generally restricted to driving up-to-3500kg camping-cars and liking the idea of big ones) don’t appear to be too fussed about driving overweight motorhomes, whereas UK motorcaravanners seem more concerned about doing this.

It should be straightforward enough for AGD to confirm the advertised Euroyacht’s maximum gross weight, but less easy to establish the payload reliably without actually weighing the vehicle. As he has had so much bureaucratic pain over registering his RHD Pilote in France, it would be sensible that he be aware at this stage of possible payload limitations with the Euroyacht and that the UK procedure of gaining extra payload by chassis ‘uprating’ is unlikely to be practicable in France.

I would like to thank everyone for such a fantastic response, I do like the look of the Euroyacht, but the weight problem bothers me, I only have the 3.5 tonne licence now, so I think I will wait until after I have returned the Pilote to the UK and sorted that out. What an incredible bunch you really are, many thanks.

AGD

Archived