Fined for taking a SORNed van for pre-booked MOT test.

jb6981

Bulletguy - 2016-03-25 12:57 PM

You will note i emboldened "parking charge notice". That's the heading on Parking Eye (and others) notices because it is just that.....a "notice". Totally unenforceable in law but due to the highly aggressive wording purposely designed to scare, people pay up. They know nothing about "genuine shopper" clauses as this isn't indicated on any signage. It's kept hidden from the motorist and that itself is a breach of the aforementioned law.

A couple of months ago a close relative received a demand from Parking Eye; £40 'fine' for not inputting their registration number into a terminal after paying for their goods at Aldi, Northfield.. The signage was completely inadequate and the other two Aldi's in a five mile radius do not have this system.

I wrote to Aldi (Car Parking Management, Atherstone) with proof that £51 had been spent on that occasion and asked them, in the interest of customer retention, to cancel the PCN. I sent the letter from my local Post Office, after obtaining proof of posting, on the Saturday morning, the following Tuesday I received a letter from Aldi informing me that the ticket had been cancelled.

I did not engage in any way with Parking Eye; whether extracting a penalty from a customer for forgetting to input their reg into a terminal would have stood up in court is debatable.

Back to the op's current issue. The MOT database has now been computerised for some time and, (as far as i'm aware), can be accessed by the DVLA. Had they bothered to look at that then they would have seen the op had attended an MOT station on that same day. Instead they took the lazy way out by letting ANPR run off an auto-generated letter threatening court action.

Exactly.

That some owners SORN vehicles is neither here nor there as it's perfectly legal to do so. It's his vehicle and his choice. Like other owners running on SORN he was abiding by the law when taking it to and from an MOT station so you don't expect such an aggressive letter from the DVLA threatening court action if you don't comply.

I don't use my van in the winter - why give the Government £90 when I can SORN it?

Those less sympathetic to the op will undoubtedly change their tune the day the same, or similar, happens to them.

Yes, they will have to deal with DVLA, an organisation who clamped a derelict car with no wheels in Birmingham last week because it wasn't taxed! [Photo from Birmingham Mail 24 March 2016.]

2018276080_Car-clampingcopy.gif.29eb39674b9aca4854848c8ed40d4f07.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived