Motorhome damp check

ChrisH

I have just taken my motorhome to an Approved Workshop for it's annual habitation check and was very surprised to be told that the damp check is now only carried out on the floor, not the walls.

Has anyone else heard of this and if so can they explain the logic as all previous damp checks have been carried out on the walls?

Chris

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/assets/AWS-Motorhome-Annual-Habitation-Checksheet-V4-SAMPLE-Part-1.pdf

http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/assets/AWS-Motorhome-Annual-Habitation-Checksheet-V4-SAMPLE-Part-2.pdf

http://www.motorhomes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/01052012104851.pdf

The first two links above are the AWS habitation forms and you will see delamination is checked and a separate damp report is a requirement. The third document I had to get from the Travelworld web site and shows the AWS damp report.

When I book in my van, I ask for a habitation check and a damp report. I guess either the AWS forms on its web site are out of date, or you need to stipulate a damp check when booking [you shouldn't have to do at a AWS], or you need to query this with AWS and name the dealer in question.

There is a feedback form on the AWS website. For some strange reason, it doesn't ask whether the AWS carried out the work in accordance with the AWS schedule which I would have thought was the most important aspect of the service.

The walls suffer the highest risk of water ingress, way higher than even the roof. The Floor is very low on the list, except below the Shower??

If higher than normal readings are picked up, for example around a door way, then extra readings will be taken in the floor nearby. So what is happening in the Walls can affect the readings you take of the Floor. I don't understand the logic behind not testing the walls?

All of the Technicians we know, like us, carry out a damp check in all parts of the vehicle.

Catching water ingress early in the walls can save thousands in repairs, we suggest you get a damp check somewhere else?

Hi, buy your own damp test meter and do the job yourself, regularly, not just once a year.

having had problems in our van, ( long sad tale), and had the van" repaired" by the workshop at tewkesbury, they still didn't find the ingress point, because they only checked the accessible areas from the inside of the van.

I asked the dealer to demonstrate damp check, having eventually found the point of ingress myself, and having fixed it, , I pointed out that their checks did not include removing fridge vents and checking the area for damp .I asked why dont they check that area, as that was where the problem originated,, via a poorly fitted top vent panel.

Above the top panel the damp reading was 7 percent, but below the panel the readings were 30 percent.

Water was getting in and running down the wall, appearing just forward of nearside rear wheel arch under the bunk. Fitting a new panel, and sealing the area around it properly, then drying out the area thoroughly by running the fridge on electric for 2 weeks , with the vent winter covers fitted, and a fan heater running continually under the bunk for 3 weeks, has reduced the readings down to around 12 to 14 percent

these readings have not changed in the last 4 weeks in spite of recent rainy days, so I am optimistic that finally I have solved the problem.

The dealer told me that they now wish to do the repair again and do not accept that my work is acceptable.

my reaction to that is one of disbeleif, particularly as they have had 2 previous workshop attempts, but failed to spot the fault.. I trust my own work !

Surely it should have been sensible in any damp check to access ALL areas, even to check behind fridge. It is easy to access..

tonyg3nwl.

Archived