Campsite near calais

smyth885

I used a campsite near Calais for a nightstop 20 years ago and it was terrible - small pitches, soft ground where people had drained their grey water.  Never again.

I use one or other of the many conveniently sited Aires, usually at least 20 miles from Calais, to steer clear of migrants.  If you are going South the one at Montrieux sur Mer is a good one - recently upgraded with separate MH bays, nice clean toilet, nice town nearby, and it's free.

smyth885 - 2016-03-13 10:37 AM

Hi all does anyone know of a good site near Calais to overnight at

If using ACSI, and in the ACSI season, Le Bien Assise, at Guines. GPS N50.86655 E1.85826

If travelling SE, Municipal Beausejour, at Arques. GPS N50.74557 E2.30461

If travelling SW, Municipal La Fontaine des Clercs, at Montreuil sur Mer. GPS N50.46825 E1.76302

...I've posted before that my own experience of Bien Assise was poor, possibly because it was very busy, and we prefer somewhere quiet and small.

We have generally used:

http://www.campingstlouis.com/en/

....which I believe has changed owners, and I note is now an ACSI card discount site except in July and August.

It's been a year or two since we used it, as our travel practice has changed a bit, but we have never failed to get a pitch without booking, and it is quiet and comfortable for an overnight to/from the ferries (about 20 mins drive).

We used to use La Bien Assise regularly on our first and last night until the time we had a caravan but towed it with a La Strada PVC (an attempt to get the family to spend some time trying caravanning, but failed) and the camper was broken into on the site. Nothing taken as we were using the caravan but the drivers lock was damaged and a small dent put in the door. Our view was that it was a male member of staff who seemed to pay particular attention to us as we pitched up but nothing was proved.

Have never used it since preferring the Aires - including the quayside - and have not experienced any other problems. Came back last week from Spain and no sign of migrants anywhere.

David

Hi

Another very nice Campsite is Chateau du Gandspette at Eperlecques, 30 minutes from Calais.

Has Swimming pool, wifi, tennis court, and a bar and restaurant.

Also just down the road is a Museum, where the biggest bunker in the North of France is and where they were going to launch the V2 rocket from....Very interesting...

Another vote for Chateau du Gandspette at Eperlecques or, the aire at Watten by the canal.

There is also an excellent private aire at Embry but watch the entrance, it is easy to ground if you have a long overhang. Dominique who owns the site will bring bread and croissants in the morning if you order the night before.

Archived