Scaffold Tower 1 Motor Home 0

Berniea

Had a bit of an accident yesterday!

As i was taking down a 12ft scaffold tower it collapsed and one of the legs of the tower clipped the rear of my Adria Sonic Supreme ( Silver in colour). I'm now left with a couple of dings in the centre of the van at the base of the back panel. Give or take 10-15mm the centre of the biggest ding is in the centre of the van.

I reckon getting a paint match is not going to be easy - I've already contacted the Adriaa dealer and they were no help what so ever. I'm taking the van to a company that claim to be able to match any paint colour tomorrow and so I'll see what they reckon but even if they do get a match I'm not fancying the prospect of painting the entire rear panel for just a small 40-60mm dent. (Its only about 1mm deep)

I'm thinking I could stick a decal over the mark but Im not wanting to stick just any sticker on the back - I want something that looks like it was meant to be there.

I'm thinking a textured ( not sure what the correct term is) decal would work - maybe a "Ducato" sticker or similar might work. I'm looking for ideas - Help please!

Oh and where can I buy any decals you might suggest?

Hi, sorry to read about the mishap.

I wonder if you might try a stick on reflector over the offending dent. One of similar size to your rear lights, in the middle might not look too out of place.

Caravan spares shop might have something suitable, they come in 2 colours, red for rear, amber for side and white for frontal use. Could be an idea ?

Tonyg3nwl..

I don't think paint colour-matching is a problem these days because a MH repairer matched my slightly faded body colour impeccably when I've had a few dings repaired from time to time.  Likewise avoided respraying whole panels by fading in  skillfully.  But it's not really a DIY job - too skilled!

These guys are near Preston, Lancashire, boss is Andy, very helpful:

Motorhomecaravanrepairs

Berniea

If your Adria’s rear end resembles that of the motorhome in the attached photo, you might be better covering the damage with a decal that matched the colour of the existing ‘grey’ decals on the sides and at the top of the rear panel, rather than try for an exact paintwork match that might well change colour over time.

Unless the damage is genuinely central in the rear panel, covering it with something small is likely to look unattractive. As the saying goes “If you’ve got it, flaunt it” and I’d be considering adding a wide-ish horizontal 'stripe’ decal right across the base of the rear panel (with perhaps the “Adria” name being within/on the decal).

There are lots of businesses that can provide self-adhesive custom decals and advice. A GOOGLE-search on “vehicle graphics” (and where you live) should find a company.

adria-sonic-supreme.jpg.fb922d5cf598be37b990364367e4371c.jpg

Many thanks once again all.

I took the van over to the paint matcher today and he wasn't the least bit concerned over getting a good match - which is a relief.I didn't realise that this guy also sprays the paint he make, so I've booked the van in for it to be painted on Thursday.

Derek Uzzell - I agree that a small badge of some kind probably wouldn't work and if, after it's been painted, it doesn't look right I'll almost certainly opt for your suggestion.

I'll post a pic once it completed - along with the offending, collapsed scaffolding.

Metallic paints are a pain to match permanently. If the van is a year or more old, the paint has weathered even though you don't see the difference. New paint matches it initially, but once IT'S weathered it may show up as a slightly different shade. May not happen with yours, but it did with mine.

• 3 weeks later...

After much consideration I decided to make a bit of a feature of the damaged area.

I think it looks better now than it originally did.

Edit: I was hoping to include a few pics but im unable to reduce the size to less than 100kb. Will try when I'm on my laptop and not my phone.

damage.jpg.683149521597cd443a7f0278990504c6.jpg

van3.jpg.a86957ccf5db559a23e9e186ffc76953.jpg

van2.jpg.5e27b72cd785f82d1d363bed6b4a2211.jpg

Van1.jpg.373254e0065cf334f0cb870815f934e2.jpg

Archived