Retro Fitting Reversing Sensors

Fellbound

I have a 2015 Majestic 105 (dealer special of Elddis Accordio 105). Rear washroom so no all through visibility.

It has a rear view camera but I don't find this that good in showing very close up objects when reversing - in fact it doesn't show the two feet or so nearest the van. The instructions are written in Clingon or similar and I can't work out how to adjust it.

I was thinking of having audible reversing sensors fitted by the dealer (I'm a DIY imbecile). It will cost about £250 but could save a prang. Am a bit worried that either the sensors or wiring will be unsightly. Also, for another £50 they can fit a screen display as well as having the warning beeper. Not certain if that is worth it. Finally, I have a bike rack fitted. Will that interfere with the sensors?

Any views or advice on any of this? I should have added that I tend to tour on my own so can't do the obvious of asking my other half to get out and guide me when reversing.

I fitted a set of reversing sensors and beeper bought from EBay (for only £15 as I recall) and they work a treat; I could even choose from several colours for the push-in sensors, to match the MH's bumper panel.  I connected the power cable to the nearby reversing light feed and placed the beeper inside the MH at the rear, from where it is easily audible, so no need for long cable runs.  A bit fiddly getting neat cable runs from the sensors to a central location in the garage, but it was do-able.

Even these cheap kits seem to work well and reliably, so I suggest you just go ahead and get the job done.  The basic kit of sensors and buzzers is enough to do the job.  I didn't think adding the LED display at the front (which would have required a long cable run to the front) is at all necessary and no regrets about that.

It turned out to be a very simple "plug and play" fitting job, just a bit of thought required for routing the cables.  Have you got a DIY-capable friend?  Maybe get a local garage to quote for fitting a kit for you?

Thanks Stuart. Helpful

I'm sure it could be done (much) cheaper. My logic in getting the dealer to do it is that the MH is under warranty for 3 years. If I have any electrical problems elsewhere in the MH in the future I don't want them to have wriggle room by claiming it was a non-authorised adaptation that was the cause of the fault.

Fellbound

I’m wary that, just because your dealer would fit the reversing-sensor system, the system would then be covered by the Elddis 3-year warranty. Problems with any retro-fitted ‘accessory’ would need to be dealt with by your dealer and, if the sensor system itself were warranted for, say, 12 months, I see no good reason why that period should be extended.

If your dealer assures you that, in the (unlikely) event that the reversing-sensor system caused a significant problem elsewhere in the motorhome later on, the problem could be dealt with under the Elldis warranty, I suggest you get that in writing. There’s little doubt that having the dealer do the work is the ’safest’ way to guard against difficulties if the scenario you’ve envisaged occurred, but it might not be quite as ’safe’ as you may be assuming.

As Stuart says installing a reversing-sensor system will normally be straightforward. There are plenty of systems available - some involve long cables if a display is wanted in the vehicle’s cab; others are ’wireless’ and should be simpler to install.

A competent fitter should be able to avoid the sensors/wiring being unsightly and to take into account any possible impact of the bike-rack on the system’s effectiveness. (A bike-rack should not be a problem unless it’s fixed to a tow-bar.)

A reversing camera normally has a wide field of view and, when mounted high on a motorhome’s rear ‘wall’ and its angle adjusted to look straight down the wall, should be expected to be capable of showing (on the in-cab display) both rear corners of the motorhome and any objects within inches of the vehicle’s rear bumper. How easy it will be to adjust/optimise a camera’s angle of inclination will depend on the camera that’s been used, but it’s generally not difficult. If your camera is currently not providing the view you want, ask your dealer about it.

As you tour on your own a camera-based system , plus a reversing-sensor system, would be a sensible arrangement.

The comments here may be of interest

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=motorhomefacts+reversing+sensors

I don't recall any other Elddis owners asking about poor rear view camera field of vison on here which suggests that, as Derek says, it is simply in need of adjustment?

Having had both cameras and sensors over the years I would suggest that whilst neither is infallible the camera is generally more reliable - as long as you are looking at the screen whilst going backwards .

I had a twin lens camera system fitted to my Eldis 115 sunseeker and can reverse up to an inch from any obstacle, we visited Snowshill Manor and parked in the disabled bay and a young girl came running out to warn me of the post at the rear of the van, her face was a picture.

She didn't know that you could have cameras fitted.

Pete

Where do all of you fit sensors on a large rear end? On the VW I have them as standard on the rear bumper ... but after fitting a disabled persons handle on the house wall at 4ft height I now have a dent at a height of 4 ft.

StuartO - 2016-03-14 7:37 AMI fitted a set of reversing sensors and beeper bought from EBay (for only £15 as I recall) and they work a treat; I could even choose from several colours for the push-in sensors, to match the MH's bumper panel.  I connected the power cable to the nearby reversing light feed and placed the beeper inside the MH at the rear, from where it is easily audible, so no need for long cable runs.  A bit fiddly getting neat cable runs from the sensors to a central location in the garage, but it was do-able.

Even these cheap kits seem to work well and reliably, so I suggest you just go ahead and get the job done.  The basic kit of sensors and buzzers is enough to do the job.  I didn't think adding the LED display at the front (which would have required a long cable run to the front is at all necessary and no regrets about that.

It turned out to be a very simple "plug and play" fitting job, just a bit of thought required for routing the cables.  Have you got a DIY-capable friend?  Maybe get a local garage to quote for fitting a kit for you?

It's worth mentioning there are wireless kits available too avoiding need for a cable between buzzer and display unit. I've seen this actual one fitted to a PVC (the owner fitted it himself but mentioned the hole cutter which comes with the kit is useless and you need to buy a decent quality cutter). His outfit worked a treat......and just 15 quid!!Even if you aren't a diy'er then it's worth paying someone to fit it.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221511356674?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Archived