Is it de-clutter time in the M/Home ?

Will H

A few days ago I spotted a TV programme where a family were being encouraged to bin all their un-used paraphernalia from around the house, it was suggested to be an up and coming trend.

Have you a large Bin Bag ready at the door of your van ?

Will

Yes, I have started to reduce the items in our van. Do I cater for just the 2 of us? How many plates/mugs/glasses etc , do we need? I originally had 6 of all!! Then reduced to 4. Now Oh says we only need 2. What if want to offer drink to others? How many "essential" items do others carry

PJay

The only de-cluttering I could make is getting rid of all the spare parts which live in an underseat locker.

Trouble is, I never know when I might need them. And if you throw anything away, you're bound to need it.

Perhaps I could dispense with the trolley jack though, haha !!!

Pauline, we decluttered to 4 table settings a few years ago when the boys stopped coming away with us. Four gives you the option of not washing up as often which can be useful if you have a drink late at night and want one when groggy in the morning. Two is embarrassing when you have visitors - "Oh, and bring your own cups" is not the warmest of invites.

Will, no big bin bag but now the weather is warming up and Easter beckons, we renew and replace as necessary and throw out anything we didn't use last year - it goes in the house garage for another year just in case. We've only updated the first aid kit so far this year. We've also started doing the house on an annual basis.

Will H - 2016-03-14 9:10 AM

A few days ago I spotted a TV programme where a family were being encouraged to bin all their un-used paraphernalia from around the house, it was suggested to be an up and coming trend.

Have you a large Bin Bag ready at the door of your van ?

Will

No.

I try to avoid ' trends ' as far as possible.

;-)

Brock - 2016-03-14 9:35 AM

Pauline, we decluttered to 4 table settings a few years ago when the boys stopped coming away with us. Four gives you the option of not washing up as often which can be useful if you have a drink late at night and want one when groggy in the morning. Two is embarrassing when you have visitors - "Oh, and bring your own cups" is not the warmest of invites.

My thoughts exactly John

PJay - 2016-03-14 10:00 AM

Brock - 2016-03-14 9:35 AM

My thoughts exactly John

Give the visitors the glasses and put your own plonk in a cup. OK it's not great but as we drink only cheap plonk it's not a hardship.

Only ever de-clutter when getting close to the weight limit!

The van was designed to be 3.5 tonnes so it may as well be 3.5 tonnes, besides it rides better fully laden and things that can't move about don't rattle.

You never know what you might need untill you need it and if there is one thing worse than not having what you need with you it is having one at home and needing to buy another!

And if it is fashionable even more of a reason not to follow the flock and do it - just wait a couple of years and cluttered will be the new fashion - then maybe think of de-cluttering.

Forge your own path and let others do the following!

Mike88 - 2016-03-14 5:19 PM

Brock - 2016-03-14 3:27 PM

Good idea Mike except we don't have alcohol in the motorhome. Hot tea, or coffee, in a glass would probably fail a health & safety risk assessment.

You've got me there.

i prefer glasses, can't stand the plastic ones!. We have had our wine/tot glasses for 20 year. 10 years in a boat, (and travel some rough seas!) and the same in the van for 10.years. Still got all 12 of them!

Blow health and safety, it, s all gone a bit OTT, IMO Most of the pavements in Spain, would never pass, probably the same in others countries

PJay

You only live once!

We had our first habitation service in our present MH carried out just over a week ago so had to empty everything out of it. Whilst doing it we did go through all the contents to see what we actually need to take with us on our travels. We did find a bit of duplication in pots and pans and cooking utensils that we take and also spare bed linen and towels - we had quite a few towels, albeit lightweight ones, and could have one for each day of the week ! Other than that we removed one small camping table form the garage, so all in all not a lot.

Must admit though that the MH travels better when fully loaded - a much better ride.

Alan

Archived