What discount on new van?

Barcobird

It's getting close now, decided on the make, model what "extras" to have. Although UK registered it will be a LHD. We have been given a price by several dealers which equates to about 9% discount. Before going for the jugular would you consider this to be a fair discount or should it be higher?

I really don't think there is one answer to this question because dealer margins vary from one brand to another and perhaps even from one model to another within a brand.

When I purchased my new van for cash I was unable to get quite the level of discount that I initially thought I should, but the dealer was quite open about it and showed me how much the manufacturer had charged him - I was asking him to sell at a loss. On another brand in the showroom though the discount I was asking for would have been on the cards.

You don't mention if you are planning to trade in an existing van with the dealer, or purchasing outright with no trade-in?

If the former, obviously the figure to focus on is the quoted 'price-to-change'.

Put another way, there is no point in a higher discount on the new van if the trade-in price is poor/low.

Agree with Steve's observations too.

mikebeaches - 2016-03-15 8:40 AM

You don't mention if you are planning to trade in an existing van with the dealer, or purchasing outright with no trade-in?

If the former, obviously the figure to focus on is the quoted 'price-to-change'.

Put another way, there is no point in a higher discount on the new van if the trade-in price is poor/low.

Agree with Steve's observations too.

No trade in, cash purchase.

Caddies104 - 2016-03-15 9:00 AM

Another suggestion that you may get a better deal on is the Extras, if you wanted, say, upgraded sound system, satellite, alloy wheels etc,etc.. More of a margin on those.

On a similar theme - when ordering our new van - and when the negotiations on price had just about concluded, I suggested the first two annual habitation services could be included to seal the deal. They would have otherwise cost me circa £400, but significantly less for the dealer. And since I was planning to use them in any case to maintain the warranty, it worked out fine.

mikebeaches - 2016-03-15 10:17 AM

Caddies104 - 2016-03-15 9:00 AM

Another suggestion that you may get a better deal on is the Extras, if you wanted, say, upgraded sound system, satellite, alloy wheels etc,etc.. More of a margin on those.

On a similar theme - when ordering our new van - and when the negotiations on price had just about concluded, I suggested the first two annual habitation services could be included to seal the deal. They would have otherwise cost me circa £400, but significantly less for the dealer. And since I was planning to use them in any case to maintain the warranty, it worked out fine.

So basically ask for whatever to be thrown into the deal and hope he doesn't get the hump??

sad to say that cash is know longer king. dealers make far more money off people buying on HP. If its a new van you lost lots of money once you get the keys, the same as a new car. like all things find what you want and let the dealers fight it out for your money. the sad thing is that far to many people just believe all the BS from salesmen and hand over the cash without a word.

Archived