Which to believe on fuel consumption? My Maths or Peugeot Trip Computer?

Fellbound

Well on my 150 BHP 2015 Peugeot based Motorhome the trip computer says that over the last 1300 miles I have achieved 69 MPG. My own maths calculation suggests I'm averaging 31 MPG. I know which I wish was the right figure but sadly my maths is pretty good.

But I've never experienced such an inaccurate trip computer before on any of my cars. Not really much point if that's the best this can do! :-S

31mph overall is impressive. 69mph is ....................unlikely unless the milage has been entirely on a rolling road. On my 2012 Citroen the trip computer is also a bit optimistic by perhaps 10%.

Don't know why yours would be so far out

Fellbound - 2016-03-18 12:09 PM

Well on my 150 BHP 2015 Peugeot based Motorhome the trip computer says that over the last 1300 miles I have achieved 69 MPG. My own maths calculation suggests I'm averaging 31 MPG. I know which I wish was the right figure but sadly my maths is pretty good.

Just a thought, only a suggestion, but can you configure your readout to display in both MPG and / or Litres per 100 Kms? If you can so choose, is your panel set up for Imperial units?

Nope - it's definitely reading out in imperial not metric units.

How do I know the mileage? I'm a bit anal (a lot actually) and write down the mileage each time I fill up, plus the amount of diesel I put in. I work mpg out with that.

Nope - it's definitely reading out in imperial not metric units.

How do I know the mileage? I'm a bit anal (a lot actually) and write down the mileage each time I fill up, plus the amount of diesel I put in. I work mpg out with that.

andytw - 2016-03-18 6:29 PM

... but how do you know the distance you have traveled?

But surely that is not what is in question as Fellbound's hand calculated figure is far nearer the truth than the dash display?

Keith.

If you select the setting that tells you how many miles you have to run when the tank is full it will be interesting to see what it says and may even provide a clue as to what is going on. Best mpg we get with the same engine in our van conversion is 36 but only when speed limits reduce speed to 50 for long stretches of the journey. More normall we get between 28 and 30 when cruising at a true 60.

Archived