towing

tazdog6007

i am thinking about buying a trailer for my o/h toyota iq for the french trip.my m/h is a autotrail tracker 2013 and was wondering if it was o.k given some of the climbs in france.loaded with wine and beer the van was second gear on the motorway in northan france last year.perhaps a car on a trailer would prove too much?has anyone done this with a van of this size and weight?

I believe the motorhome is an Auto-Trail Tracker EKS model.

Page 59 of the 2013 Tracker/Apache A-T Owner’s Manual carries vehicle specification information. The relevant data for a Tracker EKS are:

Maximum Gross Weight - 3500 kg

Mass in Running Order - 3215 kg

Maximum Towable Weight - 1340 kg

Gross Train Weight - 4840 kg

Given the ‘second gear on motorway' scenario described in the original posting, towing a car on a trailer does not seem a great idea...

I think I agree. In fact, I doubt it is legally possible. The meagre payload (assuming the basic Tracker with no options/extras added) is just 285kg. From this must be deducted the weight of the tow bracket itself, plus the desirable noseweight from the trailer.

Max towing limit is 1,430 as Derek says. Kerbweight of an IQ is stated to be 860kg, so probably possible within the overall trailer limit. However, the MRO stated by AT for the Tracker EKS only includes 75kg for driver plus fuel, water and gas at 90% full. The payload must therefore be adjusted for any over/under weights.

I couldn't find a self-weight for the towbar itself, but this must be deducted from the remaining payload. Assuming car plus trailer will weigh close to the towing limit of 1,430kg, there will be a transfer of some of the laden trailer weight to the towball for stability of the trailer. The usual recommendation is about 7%, giving an additional downforce on the towbar of about 95kg, and this must also be deducted from the payload.

The remaining payload (possibly somewhere in the order of 175kg?) is all that is left for the passenger, food, drinks, clothing, camping kit, toiletries, etc etc. I think the likely consequence is that the Tracker will end up overloaded.

In fact, I'd be mildly surprised if it isn't already running over weight in full touring trim with no towbar/trailer added, and it is this that is causing the problem on hills. I just wonder if Roy has taken his fully laden Tracker to a weighbridge and weighed it? If not, I think it may be a very good time to do so.

Important not to overlook the potential for transfering excess payload from the MH to the trailer as necessary, so it might still be possible for the OP to achieve his aim legally.

I tow an iQ on a trailer and always put the wine etc in the car for the trip home because the MH is right up to max weight on the rear axle because of payload, weight of towbar and towball weight from the trailer.  Remember that the weight which goes on to the towball comes off the trailer axle.

My 2.8 JTD copes with hill starts at 3900kg for the MH and a full load at 1400kg on the trailer, but it has been remapped.  The MH is supposed to tow up to 1600kg and I think the engine/clutch could do that OK.

My Autotrail coach built had a towing limit of 1060 kgs, which meant I had to tow my Toyota Yaris on an A-frame, because even though I had the type approved and Autotrail recommended Witter towbar, the rear chassis extensions were not strong enough to stand any more. And the 785 pounds Witter had plenty of chassis strengthening. The van was the 7.6 metre Savannah, the Tracker may not have such restrictions.

This van was 3850 kg upto 4250kg, but the towing limit scuppered my plan to use a trailer, and I wouldn't chance an A-Frame on the Continent. Although I towed for 3 years in the UK without any hassle or problems.

I had the 150 hp 2.3 engine and I never noticed the extra weight of the A-frame plus car, without the twin reversing cameras to remind it was there, I would not have noticed it's presence performance wise.

thanks brian and all,your right brian,never used a weighbridge on any of the seven m/h i have owned.always relied on common sense and info from the bloggers.my towbar is a heavy duty job across the rear of the m/h and probably weighs around 12kg. so towing on a trailer is a no no. too close to the limit on payload. thanks all for your knowledge and replys

Archived