Blowing Leisure battery fuse

Dangrade

I chaps and chapess

Just got a motorhome tody Ducato 1.9 rivaria it has a auto chager to switchover .

However the fuse keeps blowing its a 20Amp everytime I start the engine. If I replace the fuse all ok apart a very low charge. Then start the engine fuse blows any thoughts.

If I've understood, I think the leisure battery is being used along with the starter battery to try to start the engine. The starter load exceeds the leisure battery fuse capacity, so it is blowing.

There will be a relay somewhere, that keeps the two batteries separated electrically until the alternator is generating current, when it will charge both.

So, when the engine is stopped, the relay should open to separate the two batteries. When the engine is started and the alternator starts generating, the relay will close to charge the batteries, and so on.

Sometimes these relays weld their points together, so they cannot then open when the engine is stopped. I think you need to locate that relay, and replace it. Not particularly costly.

You may need to give more details of your van (I assume a CI Riviera, but what year, and which model?) for someone who has one to be able to tell you where to find the relay. Different converters use different kit, and not all install items in the same place. If you can say, it may prevent you playing a lot of "hunt the relay"!

Alternatively, if you bought from a dealer, take it back and let them fix it. It's what they're for!

If the motorhome is a CI Riviera its electrical system is likely to follow Continental-European practice and use a coupler/separator to connect the vehicle’s starter and leisure batteries together for alternator charging. A coupler/separator is a voltage-sensing relay, but it tends to be contained in a ‘black box’ somewhere rather than being a separate component that can be identified and replaced fairly easily.

I echo the advice in Brian’s last sentence.

If the leisure battery is 'flat' the fuse is likely to blow when attempting to charge it. I am not an expert but from experience, this is what happened soon after I bought my old Renault. After fully charging the battery 'off van' all was ok.

Do not know what you mean by:- "If I replace the fuse all ok apart a very low charge."

What are you charging the battery with, if anything, before starting the engine?

Harvey

Archived