Connect 12v TV to watch whilst driving (for kids in back)

Fiat Ducato

Hi everyone

Just bought my first 12v tv a 21" HD one from Aldi's this week, and was thinking of situating the bracket so my two boys 4 and 2 years old can watch it whilst we are travelling, to keep them quiet and occupied in the back.

There are loads of portable tv's and headrest mounted tv's for cars now for children in the back, so can't see why it would be a problem, my only concern is the voltage peak whilst driving the leisure battery would be reading 14.4V or there abouts and so would the Motorhome vehicle battery. Are these TV's designed for the voltage variation, obviously when your parked up for the night (not on site with mains hookup) and watching the TV connected to the leisure battery the voltage would then drop to around 12.2V at 50% capacity.

My other question is which 12V socket would be better to connect the TV 12V plug, the leisure battery or vehicle battery when driving along?

Any comments or advice would be very welcome and appreciated.

Regards

Paul

The 12V sockets in the back would be disconnected because the engine is running I would imagine.

We have an iPad with movies downloaded for the grandchild to watch when she comes with us. This currently sits on a tablet cushion on the table but we are considering a mount for extra security.

Fiat Ducato - 2016-03-19 8:53 PM

Hi everyone

Just bought my first 12v tv a 21" HD one from Aldi's this week, and was thinking of situating the bracket so my two boys 4 and 2 years old can watch it whilst we are travelling, to keep them quiet and occupied in the back.

There are loads of portable tv's and headrest mounted tv's for cars now for children in the back, so can't see why it would be a problem, my only concern is the voltage peak whilst driving the leisure battery would be reading 14.4V or there abouts and so would the Motorhome vehicle battery. Are these TV's designed for the voltage variation, obviously when your parked up for the night (not on site with mains hookup) and watching the TV connected to the leisure battery the voltage would then drop to around 12.2V at 50% capacity.

My other question is which 12V socket would be better to connect the TV 12V plug, the leisure battery or vehicle battery when driving along?

Any comments or advice would be very welcome and appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Surely you would struggle with getting a signal on the move. Why not buy a portable DVD player from a secondhand place like Cash Generator, they are very cheap these days, you would then not have a problem with getting a signal and these are regularly used on 12v. We won a Phillips one many years ago in a French supermarket and it does come in handy sometimes.

Archived