New purchase

Ian Mackie

Welcome to the motorhoming fraternity - what have you got then? Go on tell us, we're all right nosey parkers at heart!!! (lol) Are you sure it's musty and not damp? If it's just musty, on a nice dry bright day try opening all the doors and windows and let it have a good airing for an hour or so. At the same time remove all the soft furnishings and let them have an airing as well, if they still smell a bit musty when putting them back try using one of the proprietary spray products to freshen them up a bit - can't remember what the one that they used to advertise on the TV not long back is called, supposedly good for pet and smoke odours, but it was supposed to work very well. In order to check there's no damp have a really good scramble around in the 'van, get a torch and look at the back/end etc of the top cupboards, under the seats etc.

Hi. the stuff your thinking of is called Fabreeze... its not bad either.. good idea is to check the carpet... when i bought mine the carpet ponged a bit so i rented one of them cleaners from sainsbury's and gave it a good clean. you wont believe the muck that came from it...any way it smeels great now.. i keep a can of Oust air freshener in it as well as some nice smeeling candles and now it smells pretty good. except for when we've had beans!!! have fun in your new van..

The Motorhome I have just purchased is an old V reg 1979 Ford Transit type Motorhome. I know it is not modern but it has everything in it I want, oven, hob, fridge, shower, toilet, 4/5 berth and a good engine, only done 55K genuine miles. I am getting on in years and all I want is something to get me around and be able to park up and have a cup of tea and a sleep without the hassle of looking for a hotel. :-D

[QUOTE]Ian Mackie - 2006-11-19 5:14 PM I have just purchased my first Motorhome at a very low price, the only thing I can see as a problem is that the Motorhome smells a bit musty, can anyone give me a solution to removing the smell. (?)[/QUOTE]

Ian

Did you get a moisture and habitation check on the van before buying?  If not, may I suggest you do one, or get a reliable dealer to do so? 

It is just possible that the mustiness you can smell is being caused by damp penetration into the walls.  If the check should reveal that to be the case, I'd suggest you consider trading it for another as soon as possible, since repair to cure this problem, especially if there is any rot, can be very expensive.

Otherwise, just taking all removable cushions, curtains and/or other fabrics to the warmth of your house may work.  If possible wash and dry them all thoroughly. 

While they're out of the van, put in a small electric heater for a couple of nights, ventilate the van gently by day, and then have a good sniff round inside to see if the smell lingers anywhere.  Washroom would be a good place to start! 

Give the whole van a wipe over inside with a damp cloth, including the ceilings.  You'll be amazed just how much dust accumulates, and it all traps smells and holds moisture.

Hope this helps.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I wonder if it's worth considering a damp meter? A friend of mine uses one in his profession and can tell very quickly if a wall is damp. I think that you stick them against a wall or into it with a thin probe and it will tell you if there is moisture in the gap between the inner and outer skin.

If there is a leak on one of the outer seals then the mustiness will just return.

As I say, I'm no expert on this but perhaps we've a surveyor in the membership list?

Archived