Where in Skye?

michaelmorris

Rayjsj - 2016-03-22 10:34 PM

April should be early enough to miss the midges.............

...it certainly should be, but the weather is playing havoc with midge populations. Not much last year early on, but a very bad Autumn (some would say record numbers, which might augur badly for the start of this year if there is a spell of good weather).

Both the C&CC site (which is actually some 13 miles or so from Portree near Edinbane) and Glenbrittle are fine for setting, but somewhat isolated. Kinloch at Dunvegan is in a good setting, but also within easy walking of a range of facilities (shops, eating, bars, etc.) which adds some appeal if the weather is less clement, or you don't fancy a long drive to anywhere.

You pays your money...........

Well I hope Sligachan has improved since we were last there in 2010. The spot is beautiful but the facilities were abysmal and for such abysmal facilities the charge was extortionate. We chose to leave when asked for the then going rate and went North to the wild site quoted above. Site owner's loss and our gain we thought.

Of course the site may have improved since 2010 so take a look and see what you think, their prices are quoted as £7.50 per adult and £5.00 for EHU on the website today.

Facilities are no better at the Slig, same basic toilet block/showers. I never take a hookup and am quite often alone so the £7.50 charge works out pretty cheap for me - esp compared to club sites and big sites charging me £25+ per night for a whole load of facilities I will never use. Guess you take your pick.

I need the following from a site in order of importance:

- Views

- Low Cost

- Water point

- Waste water/toilet emptying

- rubbish disposal

- Pub nearby

- Toilet facilities

- Shower Facilities

- EHU

The above is likely why I wild camp so much!

veletron - 2016-03-25 11:58 AM

Facilities are no better at the Slig, same basic toilet block/showers. I never take a hookup and am quite often alone so the £7.50 charge works out pretty cheap for me - esp compared to club sites and big sites charging me £25+ per night for a whole load of facilities I will never use. Guess you take your pick.

I need the following from a site in order of importance:

- Views

- Low Cost

- Water point

- Waste water/toilet emptying

- rubbish disposal

- Pub nearby

- Toilet facilities

- Shower Facilities

- EHU

The above is likely why I wild camp so much!

I echo your sentiments entirely even down to your order of preferences.

That is why we cross the channel and holiday in France but I guess your extra miles from Stirling make quite a difference to the costs and time spent travelling.

Having done the trip lots of times from Shropshire to the old motor museum at Doune many years ago for the Scottish Volkswagen Festival we are well aware of the journey.

Thanks for your thoughts folks

In the end we've decided to pre-book two of our 4 to 5 nights on Skye at the C&C.C site because of its location on the island. We'll make a decision on whether or not to move to another site later in the week once we've been there a day or two..

michaelmorris - 2016-03-31 7:45 PM

Thanks for your thoughts folks

In the end we've decided to pre-book two of our 4 to 5 nights on Skye at the C&C.C site because of its location on the island. We'll make a decision on whether or not to move to another site later in the week once we've been there a day or two..

Good choice, easy access so you can use your van to get around

Archived