help

terry01375

i'm almost 66 years old and reasonably fit, I've been thinking for some years now, about buying a motorhome and getting on the road, i have been looking at so many but cannot decide what would be a good starting point, i'd like to purchase a second hand one to start with and go across to europe, any ideas as regards to make, model,sizeof engine,fuel type etc would be a great help, thankyou

Hi Terry.

It all depends on layout and which one do you think would suit you the best. If you have not had one before then this could be a difficult question.

In the first instance I would pop to a few dealers to see what they have on the forecourt and see which ones grab your eye. Have a look at as many as possible, this will help you filter out what you do and don't need / want.

With layout it depends how you intend to use it. eg lounging around during the day or out and about. UK or Europe, the weather can be vastly different.

How many people will be using the motorhome, is it just you or do you have someone in tow, or like me a dog!

How long at any one time will you be using it for. In something smaller cabin fever may set in.

You could start with anything from a Mazda Bongo up to a tag axle (two wheel at the back) Burstner.

As you can see I have touched on a couple of variables but there are many more. I read an article once saying it takes an average of 5 motorhome purchases before you get your ideal layout.

I hope this helps.

Steve.

Hi Terry.

A good starting point would be to look through the information on the Out &About Live Motorhomes section, especially the different types of motorhomes and layouts. If possible, get yourself long to one of the motorhome shows as the will give you a wide perspective of what's on offer.

I start with what I want to do with the motorhome. Seems like you want to tour Europe in which case I suggest you think about a continental make, possibly even LHD. You need to think about what you intend carrying and what driving licence you have - can you drive anything about 3500kg? Then there is a size issue - the bigger the better except if you want to wander along rural roads and visit town centres. Have you somewhere to ark the motorhome when to is use and if so, are there any restrictions?

Most motorhomes are built on Fiats. I'm on my 5th and would happily have a 6th. Mercs are common but more expensive. Others include Peugeots [almost the same as a Fiat], the occasional Ford Transit ad Renault Master. There's not a lot of difference between them except they will all be diesels.

Give us an indication of where you live and how many will be in the van. Take it step at a time and ask questions and it'll work out!

Make a list of Dealerships, then visit them all and sit in their vehicles. Don't make a decision until you have been to all of them. It is far too easy to make a poor decision by acting too soon and letting your heart rule your head.

In four years you will have to have a medical to drive anything over 3500k, just a consideration.

Private buying is cheaper, the peace of mind of buying from a dealer isn't always forthcoming in practice.

But whatever you decide on check for damp, that is the killer even in recent moho's.

Get a habitation check done as part of the deal.

The base vehicle is a white van so mileage isn't important, in fact very low mileage can be a problem.

Walk around dealers, visit shows, read the guidance, none will be perfect, and you can put up with minor irritations. Some folk lose thousands of pounds in swapping for a different layout, only to find they preferred the original.

Terry - as stated previously lots to consider, but you do need to be reasonable satisfied with your initial choice.

Since you state your intentions to go to Europe, one thing which I would say is for certain would be the need for a diesel as that fuel is consistently cheaper over there than petrol.

If you travelling alone, and you have no 'left hand' passenger or co-pilot, unless you either buy an auto ticket for the Toll Roads, or simply avoid them at all times, then the toll booths will always cause some difficulty.

Is it to be an 'only vehicle' ie to be used instead of a car, or are you looking for just a separate leisure vehicle.? Either way, do you intend to spend just a few nights in any one trip, or extended holidays away?

I would suggest these are just some of the more basic question to consider before you actually go looking anything specific.

I think we would all say there is no 'perfect' design, and over the years - some 25 now, we have had different sizes and layouts, and each has its plus and minus side. From that point of view, as well as age, it does possibly matter also how long you reckon to keep it .

Our present one, which we have now had for some 9 years was the first which had the total weight at 3.5tons, and given I reached the 'senior' age of 70 during that time, I knew when I purchased it that I needed to keep to that limit....in fact at that time, I don't think many sale people either knew about it, or if they did didn't raise it with the purchasers.

Hope you find what you are looking for, but by all means, if possible, do try and chat to existing owners about their own experiences and ups and downs.

Its a great life though, and we certainly try to maximise the use of ours - they cost enough, both to purchase and maintain, and really need to be used all year as much as possible to get the real value.

Archived