Leaking cab door's on new mh

Taffy

Hi and happy easter to everyone

Don't know if we have a problem or not yet, it's our first wkend away in the new mh in Wales and shocker the weather is horrendous. We've got a polar thermal windscreen cover on and got rain water coming in the door's, just wondered if this can happen be a problem during bad weather with these covers on, and if anyone else has had the same problem is there a solution other than removing it.

Thankyou in advance

Dave

...if, as I suspect, this is of the type where there are "pockets" that fit over the top corners of the doors, then this is not an unknown problem.

Depending on the particular screen, the vehicle and the manner of fitting, it is possible for the door seals to be moved or compressed sufficiently for water ingress to occur (which can be exacerbated by the outside portion of the screen creating a "collection trough".

I've only really experienced this to any great extent on my last 'van, a Ford Transit. Whilst not fully eliminating the effect in heavy rain, it could be significantly improved , after fitting, by pushing the door seals (at the location of the pockets) up and outwards (from inside), or pulling the part of the screen that passes through the seal tight (from the outside) which repositions the sealing somewhat better.

We use Silverscreens on our Transit based MH and not had the problem you are having and we have had and used ours over the last 5 years.  The 'over window pocket' on ours is quite thin and I can't see it causing a bad seal or source of water ingress.  It could be that yours, if not Silverscreens, are thicker material causing there to be sufficient gap between seal and door elsewhere.  Failing that apart from making sure the door is well and truly shut I'm at a loss as to why this should be.

We use Taylormade on our X250 and have never had any water ingress through the cab door rubbers band we're also based in wet and windy Wales, The thickness of the sections that slot/hook over the corners of the doors are the same whether they're Taylormade or Silverscreens. Not sure about Polar ones though but these bits aren't designed to have any thermal properties and don't need to be thick, just the sections that cover the glass areas.

Thanks for the replies, the part that goes over the top of the door is very thin, noticed this afternoon a mh with a cover on and the wing mirrors pulled in, we hadn't done that and how windy it's been maybe it hasn't helped, pulled them in now and waiting for more heavy rain hopefully problem will be solved if not l will be taking it off tomorrow to see if it's the cab door's allowing the water ingress.

Dave

It was common problem on newish A-classes where the rubber seal is on the outside edge of the doors. So much so that the door 'flap' idea is no longer used to hold the screen in place. Also had the problem on my last van with internal rubber seal when torrential rain poured off the roof and inside the silver screen (TaylorMade) and then door.

Archived