wild campers ?

fesspark

This makes me wild, I am and have been in Javea campsite for the past few weeks shortly to move north now the weather has got better. I am absolutly disgusted at the people who wild camp at nearby Arunal, we saw at 11.30 am a motorhomer lifting a stormdrain up and emptying his filthy toilet down it, it probably runs into the sea and then we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners, I would like comments please, I realize it is a long standing subject but still ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fesspark - 2016-03-27 4:00 PM

"we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners"

Do they? I suppose a few will. There are people who do the wrong thing in all walks of life - motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, caravanning, people holidaying in hotels, camping in tents, etc etc. It's a shame to tar an entire group because of the actions of a minority.

This makes me wild, I am and have been in Javea campsite for the past few weeks shortly to move north now the weather has got better. I am absolutly disgusted at the people who wild camp at nearby Arunal, we saw at 11.30 am a motorhomer lifting a stormdrain up and emptying his filthy toilet down it, it probably runs into the sea and then we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners, I would like comments please, I realize it is a long standing subject but still ?

So what nationality where they?? Did you cjeck the reg plates?

PJay

Not ALL wild campers are like that, but it only takes a few.If I wild camp it's certainly not to save money, but to stay in a beautiful place where there are NO sites, and I leave nothing, except maybe my tyre tracks.

The last bad examples we saw were French, a group of 3 vans on the Isle of Harris, left a heap of plastic bags full of rubbish. We picked them up after they had gone,and put them into a skip at the ferry terminal.Which they should have done !

fesspark - 2016-03-28 9:51 AM

They where British and it makes you proud ?

Did I say I was proud?

Quite the opposite - it disgusts me that anyone of any nationality would go to such lengths simply to save a few pounds. Even if they don't use sites they could at least use the facilities that many Aires and some campsites offer to empty their waste.

David

fesspark - 2016-03-28 4:18 PM

o.k.what do you do with grey water and toilet waste put it in a doggy bag.?

Have a grey water tank, which is just soapy water, that gets emptied down the storm drain, and our cassette gets emptied at a proper chemical disposal point. And Yes, they do have them, even in the Outer Hebrides, at every ferry port.......next question ?

And as I said, we don't wildcamp to save money.

When I wash my car down at home, the water and soap go down the storm drain, via the gutter.Would never empty a cassette anywhere but at a chemical disposal point.

Out of the last 65 nights we've free camped for 37, and over the past 15 years of doing this I've never once put toilet water anywhere but where it's meant to go. I've only once in all this time seen a person bury their waste on a tidal beach.

Sure it must happen, idiots are all around us, I justhaven't seen many.

My gripe is folks rinsing toilet cassettes at drinking water taps, hence my liberal use of anti bacterial wipes and sprays.

.... lifting a stormdrain up and emptying his filthy toilet down it, it probably runs into the sea and then we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners, I would like comments please, I realize it is a long standing subject but still ?

There's no defence for such actions if it was actually a 'storm drain'. Do you know that it was and not a 'saneamento' (sewage) drain cover?

neilmac - 2016-03-28 6:26 PM

.... lifting a stormdrain up and emptying his filthy toilet down it, it probably runs into the sea and then we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners, I would like comments please, I realize it is a long standing subject but still ?

There's no defence for such actions if it was actually a 'storm drain'. Do you know that it was and not a 'saneamento' (sewage) drain cover?

Is such a "saneamento" cover intended to have sewage tipped into it from above anyway?

..or is it just an ordinary manhole (for maintenance /rodding etc)?

If it's the latter, then "sewage" system or not, do we really want folk just randomly lifting indiscriminate manhole covers in the street, and dumping their **** into them?... :-S

Even IF (and it could be a BIG "if"?) it does provide access to the sewage system, as an ordinary manhole will not have been designed to have sewage just tipped into it from above, it'll result in soiled tissue and faecal matter just sticking to the sides...

(..or are we to believe that, as well as walking around with their full cassettes, those emptying in such a way, will also be lugging around jerry cans/buckets full of water, to rinse down the aforementioned drain?....)

As I've said before, if it's supposedly okay to lift random manhole covers, maybe folk should try it in the streets around where they live...and report back on how they get on? ;-)

fesspark - 2016-03-27 4:00 PMThis makes me wild, I am and have been in Javea campsite for the past few weeks shortly to move north now the weather has got better. I am absolutly disgusted at the people who wild camp at nearby Arunal, we saw at 11.30 am a motorhomer lifting a stormdrain up and emptying his filthy toilet down it, it probably runs into the sea and then we wonder why decent people dislike motorhome owners, I would like comments please, I realize it is a long standing subject but still ?
Are you SURE it was a storm drain and not a Sanimento  or Escotas =[sEWER] manhole that was being used, Standard practice for wild camping folks to empty their toilets into the Sewer manhole. we do it all the time .

There was a critical letter (headed “Oh, sorry!”) in the November 2015 issue of the French motorhome magazine Le Monde du Camping-Car.

The writer mentions seeing a UK motorcaravanner emptying his vehicle’s waste-water tank on to the ground at the Perros-Guirec semaphore view-point. A photo of the ‘crime’ was provided showing a Swift Kon-Tiki (registration number DX14 HKW) with a lake of water under its rear.

The letter goes on to say that it’s actions like this that will give UK motorcaravanners (and motorcaravanners generally) a bad name.

vindiboy - 2016-03-28 11:41 PM

I have just spent Easter rallying at a School in Hampshire with the CCC and where did we empty our toilet cassettes ? shock horror down a SEWER manhole in the Playground, get a life.

But the *obvious (*I would've thought?) differences there is, a) Your "rally" would' have been given permission to use the grounds b) You would have been given the okay to use said manhole and c) Unlike some "dump it 'n' scarper" job into the street /carpark/waste ground manhole, you would've been in a position to swill(hose?) it down properly?...

You didn't just roll up unannounced and pry bar the cover off did you ?... ;-)

pepe63 - 2016-03-29 8:37 AM
vindiboy - 2016-03-28 11:41 PMI have just spent Easter rallying at a School in Hampshire with the CCC and where did we empty our toilet cassettes ? shock horror down a SEWER manhole in the Playground, get a life.
But the *obvious (*I would've thought?) differences there is, a) Your "rally" would' have been given permission to use the grounds b) You would have been given the okay to use said manhole and c) Unlike some "dump it 'n' scarper" job into the street /carpark/waste ground manhole, you would've been in a position to swill(hose?) it down properly?...You didn't just roll up unannounced and pry bar the cover off did you ?... ;-)
 You are correct there, but wild camping we do just that, roll up and lift the Sewer cover and empty the cassette very often the local Police are aware of this practice and it is accepted, Wild campers carry several different tools for lifting the drain cover, we DO rinse out the cassette with water and this water in turn flushes the drain too.

vindiboy - 2016-03-29 10:07 AM

pepe63 - 2016-03-29 8:37 AM
vindiboy - 2016-03-28 11:41 PMI have just spent Easter rallying at a School in Hampshire with the CCC and where did we empty our toilet cassettes ? shock horror down a SEWER manhole in the Playground, get a life.
But the *obvious (*I would've thought?) differences there is, a) Your "rally" would' have been given permission to use the grounds b) You would have been given the okay to use said manhole and c) Unlike some "dump it 'n' scarper" job into the street /carpark/waste ground manhole, you would've been in a position to swill(hose?) it down properly?...You didn't just roll up unannounced and pry bar the cover off did you ?... ;-)
 You are correct there, but wild camping we do just that, roll up and lift the Sewer cover and empty the cassette very often the local Police are aware of this practice and it is accepted, Wild campers carry several different tools for lifting the drain cover, we DO rinse out the cassette with water and this water in turn flushes the drain too.

Exactly right. I can think of several places which are municipal or commercial Spanish and Portuguese Aires that have this practice. Sanlucar de Barrameda aire (with capacity for 100+ m/homes) has a place out on the street that employs this approach in full view and proximity to the passing general public who don't bat an eyelid. Some Brits I spoke to there felt uncomfortable doing it at first, but soon go used to it. Spanish practice's rule, especially in Spain!

Hi Fesspark

agree with your comments - in Punta Prima last week and someone put waste into the hedge !

please a little more information on Arunal - any coordinates if poss or where close to

many thanks

In our old camper an LT28 we did a one night wild camp in Northumberland by the side of Ford Castle to test all the internal 12 volt lights and the gas cooker. Ate in the local pub

Left no rubbish and went home to empty the toilet and the bins.

Two overnight wild camps in France on route to our Cottage, one was by the side of a canal and the other on an approach road to a forestry track.

Again no rubbish left to say anyone had been there.

In the UK we have also stayed in country pub car parks with the owners permission,the proviso being that you have a meal at the pub. No-one has to drive home.

Responsible people in Caravans, MH's or Campers leave no rubbish and behave which should be the norm, sadly the ones who act in an irresponsible manner give all the camping fraternity a bad name.

Archived