wild campers ?

fesspark

We have just spent some time in this area, and didn't see any bad behavior from any of the so called freeloaders, me being one of them. Did you go and have a look down the said manhole Fesspark to see what type of drain it was? I doubt it, you just assumed, look at the enviromental impact of your van sitting on a lump of concrete hooked up to mains electricity, very enviromentaly friendly. LIVE AND LET LIVE

Oh, by the way, We contributed to the local economy in a very big way, and got poor service, damage to my van and ongoing problems with a oil leak from my once dry engine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cross-topic from another thread but does the region(s) in question not have the likes of "aires"?..somewhere that folk could off-load waste and refill with freshwater every 3-4+ days?

(more if you carry spare cassette etc)

How hard is that?

As for the "aire" mentioned up thread, 100+ vehicle capacity and people are still required to lift a manhole out on the street?.....really? 8-)

Come on people, this isn't the dark ages and you/we are not hobos, living rough in some doorway, you/we are motorhomers/ campervanners holidaying in Western Europe in 2016 (lol)

pepe63 - 2016-03-30 4:41 PM

Cross-topic from another thread but does the region(s) in question not have the likes of "aires"?..somewhere that folk could off-load waste and refill with freshwater every 3-4+ days?

How hard is that?

As for the "aire" mentioned up thread, 100+ vehicle capacity and people are still required to lift a manhole out on the street?.....really? 8-)

Come on people, this isn't the dark ages and you/we are not hobos, living rough in some doorway, you/we are motorhomers/ campervanners holidaying in Western Europe in 2016 (lol)

Even worse in 2016, have come across places with 300+ motorhomes and caravans where people all use a central block containing toilets and showers and in addition march about with bowls full of dirty pots and pans to communal washing sinks. Think this was called a camp site.

robertandjean - 2016-03-31 9:48 AM

How hard is that?

Even worse in 2016, have come across places with 300+ motorhomes and caravans where people all use a central block containing toilets and showers and in addition march about with bowls full of dirty pots and pans to communal washing sinks. Think this was called a camp site.

I fail to see the relevance of your post?..as this thread was about the inappropriate dumping of "waste"...

I never had you down as the manhole lifting, "dump it and scarper" type? ;-) I thought you of all people would've been in favour of people promoting responsible use of "aires" etc?

Are you really saying that people disposing of their waste matter into purpose built installations (be that a toilet block or a chemical toilet disposal point) is "Even worse" than folk lifting random manhole covers out on the street/car park/ waste ground etc? :-S

My response was very much tongue in cheek as thought most people would realise. Clearly everyone should dispose of all waste using proper facilities such as those found on almost all Aires. We do not support wild camping and never wild camp but nor do we see much to commend staying on camp sites, unless like in UK one has few alternatives. That said we do find Britstops a move in the right direction and will be making more use of them this summer, but few have waste emptying facilities so this must be done on campsites or at home.

robertandjean - 2016-03-31 8:32 PM

My response was very much tongue in cheek as thought most people would realise. Clearly everyone should dispose of all waste using proper facilities such as those found on almost all Aires. We do not support wild camping and never wild camp but nor do we see much to commend staying on camp sites, unless like in UK one has few alternatives. That said we do find Britstops a move in the right direction and will be making more use of them this summer, but few have waste emptying facilities so this must be done on campsites or at home.

I'm surprised that you would "never" free camp. Have you not overnighted at a ferry port for example?

Our attitude is we do whatever suits us at the time, free if we wish....we never stay anywhere were one of us is uncomfortable with the surroundings, Aires as and when they fit into our plans, free or pay, and campsites from time to time especially if we need to pay for extortionate electricity and washing machines. So we use the full gambit as required. Isn't that what m/homes are for?

I hope we do not get aires in UK. They would soon fill with travellers/immigrants camping in makeshift tents.

They are even camping in London Parks . I do agree that more camp sites in suitable places would be nice and not too expensive BUT we are a small country compared to France and Germany, and have a much denser population . We have driven in France (as most of you also have) and not seen another vehicle for ages, and driven through villages where no -one is about. You will never find that in England, maybe yes in Scotland/Wales due to the terrain

Lets keep what green spaces we have GREEN please

PJay

starvin marvin - 2016-04-01 7:33 PM

robertandjean - 2016-03-31 8:32 PM

I'm surprised that you would "never" free camp. Have you not overnighted at a ferry port for example?

Our attitude is we do whatever suits us at the time, free if we wish....we never stay anywhere were one of us is uncomfortable with the surroundings, Aires as and when they fit into our plans, free or pay, and campsites from time to time especially if we need to pay for extortionate electricity and washing machines. So we use the full gambit as required. Isn't that what m/homes are for?

Sorry you are correct we have sometimes stayed overnight on port, mainly when arriving in Dunquerke in early hours after visiting our daughter in Kent. Had not thought of this as wild camping.

All the best, R and J

PJay - 2016-04-01 7:58 PM

BUT we are a small country and have a much denser population .

PJay

As I look around me I do have to agree that much of our population does seem quite dense!

With apologies for the mis quote(lol)

• 2 weeks later...
At Porthcawl, Mid Glamorgan, the council had to employ wardens to stop overnight camping as the motorhomers were dumping into the storm drains. The local council workers were complaing about the faeces they had to clean up. Incidentally storm drains are storm drains, and usually go straight into local rivers or beaches.

Anyone who empties a cassette toilet or a Black waste tank into a storm drain, needs locking up. BUT grey waste never hurt anyone, as it is mostly soapy water, incidentally in areas in the UK with old sewerage systems water from the Gutters and the sewerage all go into the same system and only discharge into the Sea in times of extra heavy and prolonged rainfall. SO, it doesn't all go into the rivers and the Sea, but can do in exceptional weather.

Don't mind Wild Campers as long as they respect the the places they stay and visit. and leave it as they find it. AND i do live in a Tourist sea side area.

vindiboy - 2016-03-29 12:57 PM

Any one else noticed that it is always the Campsiters winging about the Wilders and never the other way round?

Too true nothing wrong with wilding if done sensibly, if I wanted to stay in prison camps I would have stayed a tugger. :D

"...Right luv, 'we ready then...?

House doors locked?....Check!

Wallet?..tickets? documents?....Check!

Manhole lifting keys?....Check! http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/manhole-cover-keys

Crowbars?....................Check! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crowbar&_blrs=spell_check

RADAR keys?..............Check! http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/toilet-aids/disabled-toilet-keys.html

Comprehensive schematics of the drainages system(s)covering the areas we're likely stop at?..........eh????..No?...

..Never mind luv...it's not like we'll be tippin' it anywhere near to where we live is it! "

;-)

pepe63 - 2016-04-15 8:26 AM

"...Right luv, 'we ready then...?

House doors locked?....Check!

Wallet?..tickets? documents?....Check!

Manhole lifting keys?....Check! http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/manhole-cover-keys

Crowbars?....................Check! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crowbar&_blrs=spell_check

RADAR keys?..............Check! http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/toilet-aids/disabled-toilet-keys.html

Comprehensive schematics of the drainages system(s)covering the areas we're likely stop at?..........eh????..No?...

..Never mind luv...it's not like we'll be tippin' it anywhere near to where we live is it! "

;-)

Like it !! Just have to watch you don't go over your weight limit !! Could always put extra "tools" in the smart car towed by the "A" frame !!

PJay

Surely as long as u are putting your waste down the correct disposal points for the waste you have. It's fine. Eg. Chemical disposal points on campsites or you do find them next to canals for boats. And correct drains for grey waste.

If I was wild camping for say two weeks I would always make sure I had stops in campsites also to do such things as empty waste etc. No offence to anyone on here everyone is different and entitled to there opinion but I would t start taking up drain covers in the middle of the street. I dnt understand why you would. Not a very enjoyable holiday having to worry about emptying waste and carrying the correct tool to do the job.

:-D

DavidBrown - 2016-04-15 9:47 AM

Surely as long as u are putting your waste down the correct disposal points for the waste you have. It's fine. Eg. Chemical disposal points on campsites or you do find them next to canals for boats. And correct drains for grey waste.

If I was wild camping for say two weeks I would always make sure I had stops in campsites also to do such things as empty waste etc. No offence to anyone on here everyone is different and entitled to there opinion but I would t start taking up drain covers in the middle of the street. I dnt understand why you would. Not a very enjoyable holiday having to worry about emptying waste and carrying the correct tool to do the job.

:-D

regarding boats and "grey water" disposal. Can anyone tell me where the grey water holding tank is on a boat. I've had several boats and have never found out how you empty them. A plug in the bottom of the boat perhaps?

I've had a few narrow boats and on all the grey waste went straight out into the cut, the black waste went into a holding tank that I paid to have pumped out about once a month.

At home they both go into a cess pit that, again, I pay to be emptied, but once a year.

Billggski - 2016-04-15 5:59 PM

I've had a few narrow boats and on all the grey waste went straight out into the cut, the black waste went into a holding tank that I paid to have pumped out about once a month.

At home they both go into a cess pit that, again, I pay to be emptied, but once a year.

thankyou. My point exactly on "grey" water. No tank. At least with a camper the water is filtered by the soil sand gravel you are parked on.

Guest pelmetman
robertandjean - 2016-03-31 9:48 AM

How hard is that?

Hence why we no longer venture out in July August ;-) ..........Toooooo many oikes without a clue and loadsa money, loadsa tattoos, and loadsa sprogs 8-) ........

Now that I'm retired I no longer need to mix with the Hoi polloi :D .........

Archived