What accessories have you fitted to your Van.

Campfos

Campfos - 2016-03-27 6:12 PM

I was thinking of fitting a set of bull bars to my motorhome.

Has anyone else fitted these as I like the idea of having a different looking van.

Are you serious? *-)

No, not seen that accessory on a MH yet. So guess it's fairly original.

Perhaps come in handy in your part of the world... ;-)

Legislation some years back made 'real' bull bars all but illegal.  I think the 'original hard as nails' bull bars are actually illegal under EU law.  Those around these days are made to specific safety standards, or should be, and should carry an 'e' mark indicating compliance and in reality offer little or no added protection...so are principally cosmetic.  Of course liking or disliking them is horses for courses so whatever answers you get here it's your choice.

PS...should you fit a 'non approved' one and are involved in a claim your insurance will likely be invalidated for having an illegal aftermarket part fitted.

RogerC - 2016-03-27 9:40 PMLegislation some years back made 'real' bull bars all but illegal.  I think the 'original hard as nails' bull bars are actually illegal under EU law.  Those around these days are made to specific safety standards, or should be, and should carry an 'e' mark indicating compliance and in reality offer little or no added protection...so are principally cosmetic.  Of course liking or disliking them is horses for courses so whatever answers you get here it's your choice.

PS...should you fit a 'non approved' one and are involved in a claim your insurance will likely be invalidated for having an illegal aftermarket part fitted.
Agree. You might even have difficulty getting it through the MOT if equipped with the original solid type bullbars.If you live in Africa they are not so much an accessary but a necessity. I had a close shave with a kudu in Namibia. Don't know what the dangerous wild life is like in Scotland but I did see a red squirrel sitting in the middle of the road.

Robbo - 2016-03-27 10:06 PM
RogerC - 2016-03-27 9:40 PMLegislation some years back made 'real' bull bars all but illegal.  I think the 'original hard as nails' bull bars are actually illegal under EU law.  Those around these days are made to specific safety standards, or should be, and should carry an 'e' mark indicating compliance and in reality offer little or no added protection...so are principally cosmetic.  Of course liking or disliking them is horses for courses so whatever answers you get here it's your choice.

Agree. You might even have difficulty getting it through the MOT if equipped with the original solid type bullbars.If you live in Africa they are not so much an accessary but a necessity. I had a close shave with a kudu in Namibia. Don't know what the dangerous wild life is like in Scotland but I did see a red squirrel sitting in the middle of the road.
I would put the Red Deer and Kudu in the same league for making a very large dent in a vehicle that collided with them. Stick on bullet holes( remember them?) would probably be enough for an insurance company to use the its a non standard vehicle clause to avoid paying for a claim now.

Bullbars are very common in this part of the world. If you travel in the country you need to watch for Kangaroo, Emus, wild goats and cattle on the road. In the outback it is common for cattle to not be fenced in along roads. If you see the links they are available for motorhomes & all 4wd's sold in Aust.

https://www.ecb.com.au/vehicle.php?Make=38&Model=187&variant=879&SEARCH2.x=47&SEARCH2.y=9

Cheers,

From what I hear of Oz finding large livestock to run into is easy. Free range human are much much rarer, a rather different situation from much of western Europe and especially the UK. There is even a score system for vehicles for how kind to pedestrians they are.

Personally I found it less trouble to avoid them.

I fancy a power operated gun turret to ward of dive bombing seagull.

And now my cheeks sore and tongue going soft.

Campfos - 2016-03-27 6:12 PM

I was thinking of fitting a set of bull bars to my motorhome.

Has anyone else fitted these as I like the idea of having a different looking van.

Yes i fitted one on a Mk4 Transit Camper. Primarily to fit a pair of decent driving lights (on main beam use) as back then i used to drive a lot of unlit country 'B' roads.

You didn't mention your van type which will be a deciding factor! But if there is a bar available for yours, buy the best you can afford as the cheap ones are rubbish. They aren't heavy but robust enough to protect your front end from serious damage. A roll out awning weighs a lot more than a bull bar.......and those talking "extra weight" will certainly have an awning on their vans! ;-)

Geeco - 2016-03-29 3:18 AMLove this MH, it even has personalised number plates - VH DAK. Jeremy is it from Aust as VH is the prefix for AU on planes? There is also an RAAF logo on the side. Cheers,

Gary yes - I checked the forum that had the picture and it is an Oz forum. http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/PrintTopic63924.aspx
(I simply did a google image search and selected the picture)

starvin marvin - 2016-03-29 11:04 AM

Another bod with money to waste.

That's not how I see it and if I had had the ability and the means to create such a work of art I would be very proud of it!

Mind you how it drives, handles and works in the real world might just be a different matter?

Not right or wrong - just different!

Archived