I'm thinking about a kon tiki?

Bobeye

We are first time buyers but we have been looking for the right MH for over a year now.

I have the chance of purchasing a Swift Kon Tiki 640.

It has very low milage for it's age (99).

It also has everything we have looked for in a MH. Are there any specific things we should be looking out for that could raise concern especially associated to this model of MH.

[QUOTE]dobscott - 2006-11-20 11:28 AMIf this is the discontinued garage model just check that the payload is sufficient for your planned use, particularily if you intend to use the garage to carry a scooter.Geoff[/QUOTE]

Thank you dob, but I think we will probably just be carry the normal sort of stuff plus a couple of lightweight Kayaks and 2 bikes on a rack.

The heaviest thing we will be carrying is probably going to be me, and hopefully it will cope with that, but thanks anyway for your info

Bobeye there is no common problem with these vans that I am aware of, nor do I recall any mentioned on the forum. However as with all coachbuilt vans a damp check would be a worthwhile thing to do before purchase, especially if there has been a bike rack or any other external fitting fixed to the van. IN dorset I believe that you are fortunate to have at least a couple of places that can carry out this knd of work unlike some other parts of the country. Good luck Docted

Not sure if the one you're looking at has seat belts in the habitation area, but if so these are all subject to a safety recall by Swift (for fitting new belts, mounts, fresh water tank and chassis strengthening). If so, it's worth checking if this has been done - no real worries if not as Swift pays for everything, provides a hire car for the day and even pays for fuel, overnight stop and lunch! We've a 1998 Bessacarr E695 (much the same thing as a Kon-Tiki) and absolutely love it to bits. High mileage at 70,000 but it drives well, everything still works, there are no leaks and the layout suits us down to the ground. Good luck!

Hi, We have a Bessacarr which is basically the same and when we were looking around we kept coming back, as while you may hear different things, the main thing that Swift build is quality, you just have to look at the thickness of the seats the beds have sprung slats underneath them the cooker on ours has one electric burner which we use all the time when on hook-up it really saves the gas, the rear bed has ducted warm air circulated under it to help stop condensation/damp there are heater ducts everywhere even ducted upto the overcab bed area. I could go on but I am sure you have noticed this yourself ? They are very good MH's . Hope this helps,

OK we have done it !!!!!!

We take delivery in January of a Swift Kontiki 640.
Registered in 1999 on a "T" plate(a MH a little older than we first thought we would end up with).
Immaculate inside, not a blemish on the upholstery, the oven doesn't look like it has ever been used.
No visible damp and we have been assured by the dealer that they have tested thouroughly with a meter.
Externally, it is superb, not a single dent or bruise.
And remarkably only 8k on the clock gaurenteed with a FSH.

Both my partner and myself are really excited about the MH, we have even named her, even though we haven't got her yet.

If you see us out and about please come and see us, we would love to talk to you all.

Thanks again for all your comments.

You will never regret it. We bought our first motorhome 18 months ago after years and years of caravaning. (I would never tow)! But I will drive the motorhome, so I get to go out and enjoy it when Charles is playing soldiers! SAS - Saturdays and Sundays - in the TA We have been loads of lovely places where we would not have got to with the caravan in tow. Enjoy it - and wave to others as you pass B-) Carol

Registered in 1999 and 8,000 miles?  It hasn't been used, has it?  I'd say get the engine oil, and fuel, air and oil filters all changed whatever the fsh says, and also consider getting the brake fluid changed unless you know it has recently been replaced.

Also, before you go too far with it, have the tyres properly, and very thoroughly, checked (preferably with all wheels off, including the spare).  Unless they have already been replaced on grounds of age, they probably should be, since it seems probable the 'van will have spent extended periods inactive.  Apart from their age, they are liable to have suffered from not rolling along the road.  They are unlikely to show any signs of wear, but may have lost flexibility or developed substantial "flats" from standing.

When you've got that all sorted out, take it for a gentle, but extended run, treating it a bit like a brand new 'van. 

It hasn't yet even been run in, and since it seems it must have stood inactive for quite long periods, I'd think softly, softly may be the best way to wake it up again and re-commence the process of bedding everything down properly, before you start applying the whip to the horses!

Thank you Brian for your comments and advice.  The MH is having a full service including the habitation area and I will be checking, including the paperwork, for what has actually been done.

Many thanks again to everyone for your advice and help and I am sure I will have many more things to ask over the years.

Thank you all again

Bobeye I think a very common problem with Boxer cabs around that time was water entering the engine bay via a design fault with the bonnet seal. The water would land on top of the battery, mix with the acid, and cause havoc with the adjacent wiring and the inner wing. Our Kon Tiki (1996) had this problem, but it was common to a lot of Boxer models until the next model change. However, I can't remember what year this was although I'm sure someone out there can supply this info. As a precaution I would suggest that you ask your dealer to remove the battery, then have a good look at the adjacent parts. Sorry to put a damper on things but you did ask.

Bobeye, sounds as though you've got a teriffic 'van coming your way - sure you'll love it. Although our Bessie had high mileage (68,000) when we bought it, it had been either standing or hardly used for the previous 12 months. It took a few weeks and several runs to loosen up again and (as Brian advises) we replaced the tyres and brake fluid to be on the safe side, and made sure the dealer had carried out the engine service correctly. Bet you can't wait for January!

Thanks Mike, We are indeed looking forward to getting her home.  We pick her up from Essex and will be driving her down to Dorset in Jan, so we will take it easy and get a good feel for how she is running.  On the test drive I did find the steering a little on the light side but that may be through over inflated tyres, which I will check.  I dare say though that by the time my partner puts all the bits she wants in, it will add a little more weight.

But yea we are both excited and thanks for your the advice

[QUOTE]Bobeye - 2006-11-23 12:14 PM

Thanks Mike, We are indeed looking forward to getting her home.  We pick her up from Essex and will be driving her down to Dorset in Jan, so we will take it easy and get a good feel for how she is running.  On the test drive I did find the steering a little on the light side but that may be through over inflated tyres, which I will check.  I dare say though that by the time my partner puts all the bits she wants in, it will add a little more weight.

But yea we are both excited and thanks for your the advice

[/QUOTE]

Only one more thing, Bobeye: Kon Tikis are definitely male, not female! 

Bessacarrs, on the other hand, are universally female! 

Therefore, never park beside a Bessie.  There'll be the devil to pay when the owner of the Bessacarr discovers his pride and joy is pregnant!

Archived