Alloygator Wheel Protection

starvin marvin

A few years ago a work colleague fitted these to his car and was extremely disappointed to find after a year that the rims had started to corrode, we put it down to the Ally gators holdING road salt next to the rims.

Not too surprising when one sees how they are retained (there’s an on-line fitting video) and I note reports of air-leakage post-installation.

The potential value of this type of product increases as the tyre ‘profile' decreases. Motorhomes generally have a tyre profile no lower than 70% and the ‘bulge’ of the tyre above the rim should protect the rim itself reasonably well from kerb-scraping. If one has, say, alloy wheeels with 255/30 R20 tyres the rim becomes very vulnerable.

In fifty plus years of motorhoming I have yet to damage a wheel rim or even a tyre, so for me alloygators would not be something I would consider for a van due mainly, as Derek says, in no small part to the ammount of tyre available to cushion the rims.

If you have ridiculously low profile tyres, or if your driving, parking and turning abilty is not so good, then maybe alloygators may well be worth considering?

Archived