Off topic question if I may! for the leckys

Pete-B

We're thinking of changing our gas hob for an induction hob in our kitchen at home. I've got a 32amp cooker socket which feeds the double electric oven so I'm trying to work out if there's enough power left for the new hob. It has four burners which need 3.2kw each at full power. I tried going to a conversion table on google but it asks me for current type which would be AC then KWs which are 12.8 then voltage which is 240v but it then asks me to enter power factor, (what the heck's that).

Sorry for being a dumbo.

We had our kitchen refitted a couple or three years back and had a double oven and induction hob fitted.  The 'elektrikery' was done by a sparky mate and he ran separate cables for both saying they were to cope with the one occasion when max power was being used by all appliances on full..........so I would suggest, but not guarantee you need a separate power supply for the hob.

Also it is quite possible your induction hob will have specific wiring requirements as per makers installation instructions. 

Pete,

In a word NO!!!

Power (W) = Amps (A) x Volts (V)

So 3.2 kW would draw 13.9 Amps at 230 Volts.

Hence 4 times 3.2 kW would be 55.6 Amps!

Have you got a nuclear power station nearby to fire up when you want to cook the Sunday dinner?

Your current 32 Amp circuit cannot supply 8 kW let alone add another 12.8 kW.

Roger has it correct, you will need an additional circuit for your new hob.

Keith.

Edit to add re. Power Factors...

A Google search of 'power factor for electric heaters ' gives this quote...

"Circuits containing only heating elements (filament lamps, strip heaters, cooking stoves, etc.) have a power factor of 1.0"

So my calculation is correct.

...It really isn't possible to give a definitive answer to this question, without reference to the specifications and/or installation instructions for the units involved.

However, the likelihood is that you will require a higher rated circuit than the 32A one you have (which can, safely, deliver something just above 7kW).

Whilst the output of the various "plates" on an induction hob may have a stated nominal rating in kW, clever load balancing and electrickery will generally mean that the actual maximum constant power draw for the unit is well below the total of the nominal outputs (and I suspect it is the nominal outputs you are quoting, not the actual power draw per plate). It isn't entirely unusual for an induction hob to be rated at 3kW power draw, but with the figures you're quoting, I suspect your unit is a bit higher than that.

A double oven, however, could be rated at anything up to 6kW by itself (depending on the nature of the second oven - the main oven is usually around 3kW) which doesn't leave you much scope for a high(er) power induction hob to be added.

In reality, I wouldn't expect the overall requirement to be much over 9kW (which is still too much), though it could be somewhat lower.

You could read the individual product manuals carefully, but if you are struggling, I think you need professional advice from an electrician.

Thanks for the replies, I should have read the data sheet that I picked up yesterday of the induction hob she would like more carefully.

Although it states: Burner power = 4X 3.2kw, at the top of list it says Amperage: 32A.

Regarding the oven the book states, the unit nameplate behind the oven door gives Rated consumption, which reads: 240v, 50hz 4.9kw.

Most of this is double Dutch to me and of course I do intend to get a electrician to do it but in the meantime I'm thinking, if it's going to cost an arm and a leg I'd sooner replace like for like and get a new gas hob. Having said that the old Duchess has set her heart on an induction because our daughter in law has one and she's always telling her how good it is,

...been there recently with an existing 30A cooker supply in a kitchen being totally refitted.

Have continued with an Electric oven and Gas hob.

Hence my reply (though 4 x 3.2 kW is a pretty high rating for an induction hob, 4.9kW for the existing double oven is a killer on a 32A fused circuit, even for a lower power induction unit. It's why it's customary to put at least 45A circuits in nowadays).

It's a new/additional circuit or a gas oven, I think - though an electrician could tell you, from the size and location of the existing cable, whether the existing fuse is 'derated' for the actual current carrying capacity, and could thus be 'upped' at the fusebox without rewiring.

The rating of an electric cable depends on whether it is on the surface or buried, I would assume yours is buried. A 10mm cable buried is rated at about 43amps so it is doubtful your current installion will suffice. I am speaking from memory here so may well be an amp or two out, however just do a search and you should easily get the info you require.

If you can get past the 'elektrikery' side of things by which I mean....go for it....then you should.  We went from gas hob to induction and apart from the safety aspect (nothing gets really hot enough to do damage if touched) they are the best thing since sliced bread in terms of usability and....cleaning is a doddle.

As previously stated I have no intention of doing the lecky work myself, in fact, I've now arranged for a local firm to come next week and have a look what it would entail to change. It's just that I was trying to get a rough idea as to whether it was worth even thinking about. Regarding pans, the boss has just bought some pans that would be suitable for induction.

Thinking about that and I've just realised, I reckon she was planning on getting me to change this hob (crafty so and so). 8o|

PJay - 2016-03-31 6:24 PMAlso you will probably (most definitely, if changing from gas) need new saucepans for the hob!! More expensePJay

Not 'necesscelery'  :-)  ....we changed over from gas, already had some suitable pans (magnetic bottoms to them) and the hob came with a free set anyway......regardless though it's hardly a reason to 'not' get an induction hob.

Archived