Oil Pressure Fault.

Ninian

Hi, I have a 2014 Ducato and have been having problems with the oil pressure warning " Oil pressure Low stop & turn of Engine " message on the dash. Fiat recently fitted a new oil pump as they thought that was the problem but that didn't cure the fault. Now the van is back with them again and speaking to them this morning they are now saying because the van is sitting idle for a week between starts that is causing the fault to appear. I've been told that this message appears if the oil pressure is below 4 bar. The red oil can icon does not go out until the message appears on the dash. Has anyone else had this fault and how long does your van sit for between starts. Thanks.

That sounds like a load of 'bullshine' to me......problem with oil pressure because the van 'sits' for a while.  Just look at the vans that sit for weeks in depots etc waiting to be sold/shipped.......the 'excuse' is just that and if it isn't then the van is not fit for purpose.

I have only ever seen that warning after an oil and filter change.

I would have tried a new pressure sensor before going to the trouble of changing the pump! I wonder if they tested the actual oil pressure?

In reality, as long as the warning goes off without having to stop the engine and restart, it is unlikely to be doing much harm but it's odd and nobody likes odd. I think the blame lies with the exceptionally thin oils that are used these days...it's going to make it's way back to the sump much more quickly and that will increase wear on cold starts. I don't like it.

Surely the dealer's explanation of the problem being the fact the van sits idle for a week is nonsense. Virtually every motorhome that has ever existed sits around for long periods either on a campsite or at home. Many vans sit around for months and still start without problem. It sounds to me as though the dealer wants the OP to go away and take his problem elsewhere.

Archived