Microwave

Microwaves are cheap but heavy.

I installed one, taking over an overhead cupboard, for use when on an EHU, but we rarely used it and it became a store for other stuff.  Eventually I realised it wasn't worth carrying around and took it out, liberating the cupboard and some useful payload.

Would you use a microwave enough to make it worthwhile installing?  At least make sure the installation is reversable.

We had a microwave put in - only works when on hook up, - main problem is that it got put into one of the overhead cupboards and my wife cannot reach it, waving a hot drink above your head isn't probably the best idea, I think it depends where it's sited and so far most of our camping has been off hook.

For the same money I bought a small Cadac and I think the money would have been better spent on the Cadac in the first place,

I understand that there are 12v models that a trucker might use for example although feedback from friends is that they are overrated, taking a very long time to heat food. - For me it is probably the least best accessory we had added, - saying that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it and it works well when needed - which hasn't been often.

Bought a cheapy low wattage one from Asda, we use it all the time!

It's not installed anywhere, it lives in the bottom of the wardrobe all the time and only comes out to get used, then it goes back in the bottom of the wardrobe again :D

RogerThat - 2016-04-04 7:29 PM

Bought a cheapy low wattage one from Asda, we use it all the time!

It's not installed anywhere, it lives in the bottom of the wardrobe all the time and only comes out to get used, then it goes back in the bottom of the wardrobe again :D

Is 700w low enough for EHU and do you have to make sure it's the only appliance you are using whilst on EHU? Could one use it only from the leisure battery when not on EHU?. I'm thinking of getting one for our van. £35 from Asda looks a good buy.

Hi,

I bought a Daewoo QT1 and fitted it into one of the cupboards above the sink, at only 600 watt it is ok on EHU.

As has been previously mentioned they are heavy despite the low power, location is a factor too, I am over six foot so a high cupboard is ok for me but the wife would struggle a little, just make sure the cupboard can take the weight and make sure it is secured as it will move!

Don't forget that the start up power will way exceed the rated output so always be careful of what else is drawing from the EHU, if you have just parked up and the batteries a bit down the habitation charger will draw quite a bit as will the hot water heater if on mains and gas as it will prioritise EHU over gas.

regards

You need to be carefull in assessing the wattage of a microwave. A 700w microwave usually refers to the output power. The power drawn from the supply will be higher. Look on the plate giving the data which is located on the back of the device. My "700w" microwave actually draws nearly 1000w!

Had a microwave in a van and no oven. Microwave didn't rattle but as said, is of little use unless you have sufficient power. Wife never liked the microwave but it fitted into a cupboard and took up less space. She decided she preferred the greater flexibility of an oven, would live with the rattles, and didn't see a need for both. In fact, she reckoned we could get by with job a two ringed hob.

There have been concerns expressed that microwaves put in lockers can overheat because there is inadequate ventilation and can fall out under heavy braking or come loose with the constant bouncing around on the road. However I have never read anything about one bursting into flames and manufacturers seem happy to put them into cupboards. I have only read one report on a microwave falling out under heavy breaking [owner fitted and nobody hurt]. Microwaves can be heavy so ensure you have the payload.

We have had our van a year now and it came with a microwave as part of the package (I wouldn't have ordered one) but neither am I bothered that there is one fitted, we have used it twice in the year, once to melt some very hard butter and the second time to cook some bacon (which it does quite well) would I miss it, no.

Pete

Violet1956 - 2016-04-05 11:47 AM

Is 700w low enough for EHU and do you have to make sure it's the only appliance you are using whilst on EHU? Could one use it only from the leisure battery when not on EHU?. I'm thinking of getting one for our van. £35 from Asda looks a good buy.

I can't advise re battery usage but on EHU I've yet to trip anything.

That said, I exercise some common sense and I don't switch on the kettle at the same time, etc. But the water heater is mains, as is the fridge, so it all runs quite happily with these appliances on.

Plus, the microwave isn't on for long, I normally only use it for ready-meals so that's only around 6-8 mins I guess.

I can go that long without a cuppa. Just... :D

We love our microwave and use it constantly, at least the wife does.

Regarding current and wattage. When buying, divide the wattage by the voltage and this will give the running current. e.g. 1000watts/ 230ACV will give 4.35 amps from the EHU. But, at start up the current can double.

When on holiday in the UK with our family . (7 of us ) we have hook up's and use the microwave all the time, a basic cheap job , it travels on the bathroom floor , and when in use is on a drop down shelf above the fridge,. In a prevuious life my wife used to be a Toshiba microwave demonstrator , so knowes how to get the best out of it., prevers it to an oven anyday.

Brian B.

For those that don't know, the output figure on the front of m/c is not the power consumed. this will be over 50% higher.

A cat E 800w microwave will be around 5amp, and if you add in a dual grill this will increase to around 10 amp.

Archived