Hymer gas struts

Boo King

Hello, we want to replace the gas struts on our 2001 Hymer B544 dropdown bed.The instruction manual suggests that the table should be carried in the bed when travelling, but when we tried this it just weighed the bed too far down to see properly from the windscreen so we think the struts could do with replacement. I have read various threads suggesting that this is difficult but can be done-but looking at my dropdown bed I just can't reach the struts because of the Remis blinds casings-has anyone changed the struts in a Hymer with Remis blinds? When changing the struts is there a split pin at the forward end of the strut that i just can't see?-how can it be removed if you can't see it?!Does anyone know if Brownhills or Peter Hambilton will do this job?-or has anyone found another firm that will help?-SGS in Derby are helpful but don't actually change the struts, they just supply them. Where do other Hymer owners store their tables when travelling if not in the bed-its a heavy piece of kit to fly about a van if there was an accident!!

I had a 2002 Hymer 544 Classic. We always left the table in it's normal position.

Never read in the instruction manual that you needed to store it in the drop down bed whilst travelling.

I think it's Elf and Safety gone mad !!!

The drop down bed is secured by a strap anyway so it won't fall down during travelling.

If, on the other hand, the bed is difficult to raise into the closed position, then maybe you do need to investigate replacing the struts.

Hi Boo King

I believe there is a very helpful video on YouTube that shows you how to do this. Not sure if the subject is the same year as your motorhome, but worth a look as they must be quite similar.

We had a B544 SL and our table was fixed but too big so we took it out and bought a caravan table that we carried in the shower when travelling and it sat behind the cab seats leaning against the dashboard when we were parked up. It all worked really well for us.

Archived