Shower head with push button...

steve101

Can anyone with a shower head with a push button tell me.....

When you turn on your tap via the micro switch lift up lever does your water pump run prior to pressing the button to activate the shower head?

I have just installed an external shower on a recent to me van and I can't say I have noticed this before!

If the pump is running with the shower head trigger closed, won't this overpressure the system?

I would have thought this might put a strain on the pump or lead to a burst pipe or connection. Perhaps this type of centrifugal pump has a pressure limiting device fitted? They normally have a non-return valve, downstream of the pump.

Just interested - perhaps someone might know !!!

Robbo - 2016-04-06 8:58 AM

If the pump is running with the shower head trigger closed, won't this overpressure the system?

I would have thought this might put a strain on the pump or lead to a burst pipe or connection. Perhaps this type of centrifugal pump has a pressure limiting device fitted? They normally have a non-return valve, downstream of the pump.

Micro-switched taps would normally be used with a submersible pump in the water tank. Once these have built up pressure in the pipework then the impeller does nothing more than whisk the water without risk of over-pressuring anything.

Steve928 - 2016-04-06 9:04 AM

Robbo - 2016-04-06 8:58 AM

Micro-switched taps would normally be used with a submersible pump in the water tank. Once these have built up pressure in the pipework then the impeller does nothing more than whisk the water without risk of over-pressuring anything.

Thanks Steve928 for allaying my concerns and describing the operation of the submersible pump. I did mean to describe the pump as submersible and not centrifugal.

Archived