What 'X' model is my Fiat?

RogerThat

Sometimes the VIN number might give you a clue.

My VIN number starts ZFA250 so it's an X250. However, don't know when Fiat commenced this form of identification. Can't remember where the X comes from but sure there is some logic somewhere.

My vin no zfa 244 2006 this was year they bought out the later model.

So a 240 The newer model came out in later 2006, ours was built end of 2005

IMO the x240 is a tried and tested model. They started to have Judder problems etc with later upgrade

I agree that 1999 makes it an X230, the X240 ran until late 2006 when the X250 came out. The latest versions are called the X290 so dont know what happened to 60,70 and 80 all in the designers waste paper bin probably.....they must have been really bad !

My understanding is that the “X” prefix of the designator (X244, X250, etc.) just defines the ‘project’ that deals with a particular vehicle type. I don’t know if the “X” meant anything (eg. “experimental”) when it was first used, but this (German) Wikipedia entry shows how the designator has been used historically.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Although “X290” designates the current (mid-2014 onwards) type, it will be noticed that “X290” was used pre-1994. This might explain why the VIN of current-model Ducatos continues to have “250” in it rather than “290”.

Archived