Externaly carrying a motor bike

Guest Shaun1

Generally speaking a 50cc will do, by will be fairly under powered. I would say minimum 125cc. U will need to check on weights of the rider and pillion, the heavier they are could reduce power/speed.

Buying a pillion, Does this count as human trafficing?

At a guess a 125 will just about cope with about a total passenger weight of around 150 kg slogging up steep hills in the low gears. I seem to remember the makers advice regarding loading displayed in some showrooms.

Don't expect the smoothest of rides or precise handling under these conditions.

Our 8bhp 110cc Honda Vision does 55mph with 2 on and 65mph with just me on (but was slightly down hill) it's 103kg. The 125 Honda is 30kg heavier, 4bhp more powerful and several hundred pounds more money.

The Honda Innova 110cc is the lightest at 98kg but it's semi-automatic and there's no step-through type frame which is good for carrying things.

When in Greece or Turkey, we often hired a 50 cc scooter, if that was all that was available. Used to take us anywhere and everywhere. I weighed 12 stone and my wife 9 stone.

Brian B.

ps Sometimes off road on steep tracks my wife would have to walk up. (lol)

After much research we bought a Sachs MadAss 125 which lives in the garage of our motorhome.
I needed  a bike with larger wheels, pillion passenger, 125 cc, capable of 55mph, 100 mile range.
It had to have a certain height to get in the garage and a weight of 100Kg.
It does all of this, and I added a rack & back box and plumbed in a sat nav. We have toured on this over the last few years around France, Monaco, Italy, Croatia, Austria Germany and the UK.
A big plus is that it's very thin - the tank is incorporated in the tubular frame, so leaves plenty of room in the garage.
I bought a snip - second hand unused for 3 years for £700
It's great - and much admired! 

madass.jpg.983bad888caf1c42ecb3c5c755eb9b9c.jpg

1158471884_madassgarage.thumb.jpg.a2f1d02b8a1761f90a1929feccf0ed60.jpg

You won't go wrong with a Honda C90, the highest selling motorcycle in the world!

This is mine on the back of the car, but I have the same carrying rack on the back of the camper.

Performance is fine even with two-up and you'll get over 100mpg

Smaller still is the Honda Dax ST70. Similar engine but not as widely available.

My avatar shows the van carrying a Honda Monkey-bike, excellent little machine and so handy but that won't take a pillion

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii172/YoungDuc/SDArmada/Carrier2_zps06ba13ea.jpg

Carrier2_zps06ba13ea.jpg.2544f9689587bc4f02e2ba0bf0827e3e.jpg

I have a Honda CT 70 (monkey bike that I keep in the garage of the motorhome approx 65kgs I believe.

This is 1971 so it's free road tax ideal for small trips to the shops etc. The chain to lock it up weights nearly as much as this is an easy bike to lift away.

Never tried two up on it but you are not trying to go anywhere fast.

That's my idea

Campbell

image.jpeg.c880e4b0b4bcfe5d8c03b48cefe71ad5.jpeg

Campfos - 2016-04-12 8:16 PM

I have a Honda CT 70 (monkey bike that I keep in the garage of the motorhome approx 65kgs I believe.

This is 1971 so it's free road tax ideal for small trips to the shops etc........

That's my idea

Good choice Campfos. Ideal for nipping to the shops etc and easy to carry.

Here's mine.....

Dax1.jpg.2a4509a9b9775b3d4dcb473f7f3aba8e.jpg

Have a look at monkeybikecraze.com They have some great bikes suitable for motorhomes including a copy of the Honda Dax mentioned above. I have had one for a year now and was told I would have to buy a bucket to collect the bits that fall off by my motor biking friends. Not happened yet at 1500 mls approx. it's made by SkyTeam and the model is called the Skymax. Mine has a 5.5 litre fuel tank The 125cc engine ( there are smaller and larger engines available) and manual 4 speed gear box. I'm using it down in Spain to do the shopping as parking my 'van in town is a real pain. I bought a saddle bag kit from a cycle shop here for it so carrying shopping is no problem and it's just fun to use to explore the area. Fits in the Hymer garage easy but doesn't feel like a small bike when riding it. It's happy at 45-50 mph but will do more. I got a good deal on mine and I'm very happy with it.

Charles - 2016-04-21 11:28 AMThe madass scooter looks great but I would be scared to leave it anywhere. Our Honda is that plain nobody even sees it.

Scooter? Scooter! Excuse me it's a motorbike! Big wheels & chromy handlebars and a whopper of a silencer poking out the back - not a hairdryer!

I think they are rare enough that if someone did nick it they wouldn't be able to sell it easily. We do chain it to something, steering lock it and I have a movement sensor attached which emits the most frightful screaming noise (especially when I forget that I have set it?)

Archived