Fiat X290 Fuel Pump wiring for immobiliser

Gordonm

Hi all - I'd like to connect a secondary hidden immobiliser to my 2015 Chausson 610 on a 2.3 150hp Ducato.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the cable supplying power to the fuel pump? (assuming it's electric I guess!) I can't find any mention of it anywhere and I spent much of today trying unsuccessfully to trace the fuel lines back past the filter.

In addition, any other suggestions for an 'easier but equally effective' electrical circuit to break to immobilise?

TIA - G

Gordonm

There seem to be enough peculiar problems with original-equipment X290 Ducato/Boxer electrics without potentially provoking more by adding this type of DIY modification.

If your Chausson has an electrical snag during its warranty period and a Fiat agent finds that you’ve added your own immobilising switch, there’s every chance that your modification will be cited as contributing to the fault. I fully accept that inserting a simple switch into a critical wire should be straightfoward, but you’d be hard put to argue that if a Fiat agent claimed otherwise.

Best of luck - but I think you’d be nuts to do this.

Thanks Guys - not really what I wanted to hear but good advice anyway (as always)

Brian - unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an impact cut-out under the bonnet - the handbook mentions that on some models there's one inside the cab, but not on mine. Shame - that could have been the 'easy' option.

George - most of my previous cars and motorcycles have a secret switch of some description - I try not to leave the keys in an obvious position in the house, I have other 'non-functional' keys for that - but it's yet another delaying inconvenience for the dastardly ne'er-do-wells.

and finally Derek - that is a very good point, and one that I hadn't considered This is my first brand new vehicle, and modern Ducato electrics do seem rather superior to the 1980's Ducati electrics that I'm used too . . . Certainly the pulling of covers and removal of interior trim has revealed a rat's nest of cables with an unbelievable quantity of in-line fuses as well as mysterious relays tucked into various nooks and crannys - so I think that maybe you're right - the system is complex and 'knife-edge' enough without introducing additional risk!

Is there anyone out there that would disagree with this after having fitted something similar themselves?

Also for future fault finding, anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram? I have a French pictorial version for the motorhome, but can't find anything for the Fiat bits.

The T leaves will leave no stone unturned to find ways of cracking security devices but although there are rumors of hi tec stuff that can grab the signal given out when the vehicles is used. However my understanding is the rolling codes used are very difficult to replicate and the vast majority of vehicle thefts are when thieves get hold of the keys or when the vehicle is dragged onto a transporter.

My understanding is that theft is rare but the demand for vehicles that can be driven with only one hand relatively high in certain parts of of the middle east.

:-)

In this high-tech security world where the tea-leaves have many clever e-bay procured boxes and are pretty skilled in overcoming the latest smart anti-theft systems, I prefer to just have the stickers in place and imagine their faces when their gadgets don't work because there's a simple switch hiding in plain sight . . .

Of course they can still hitch it up and tow it away, but it will still make things more difficult for them at minimal cost and complications for me, and that's just one aspect of my planned measures!

There is a removeable panel in the floor between the front seats, just behind the battery cover. This gives access the the fuel pump in the top of the tank. If you want to go ahead with your mod you could probably find a suitable wire there to feed into.

Colin

Archived