bedding

kelly58

please do not think this is a wind up but as we are newcomers to motorhoming your advise would be appreciated.what is the best to use for bedding ? sleeping bags or duvet ,we are purchasing a 2 berth motorhome with a central double bed but without the ability to use the seats as single beds or is it a case of use whats best for you. :$

hi kelly, in the case of a double bed only I would probably opt for a duvet, but it would also depend on storage availability. In my experience 2 sleeping bags are much more compact than a duvet, and some of them do zip together to give a compromise of sorts. B-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
I hate sleeping bags! They can be very restrictive. We throw down a duvet to lie on and one on top. This keeps the cushions clean and it's easier than messing about with sheets. At the end of a few days just wash the duvet cover.

Hi Kelly- We use an opened sleeping bag inside a single duvet cover to lay on and a double size duvet on top, only snag I find is one side of the bed is against a wall, like most beds, and find the double a bit wide, and yet a single too narrow. Happy dreams, chas

I use the same method as David Newell (have done for years. A thick and thin one which are reversed according to to weather. Also you do not seem to get tangled up in these as you do a sleeping bag. Suggest you put the duvet covers on at home much easier to do than at 10.00pm in the van on Friday night. Enjoy the new van.

We find that as the single beds in our camper a very narrow, and one has no gap next to the wall, that single duvets tend to slip off when you turn over, or you end up with a gap, so we use sleeping bags. If your beds are double, don't think duvets will be a problem. If you already have duvets give them a go and see how you get on.

Hiya...yes, we use duvets all the time. Single one underneath is adequate to cover the base cushions, and a double on top, lightweight summer one or medium weight winter according to season keeps us snug. They each roll up small enought and we have bags. adapted ones mostly, which orignated from one of the shows, www.bags4everything.co.uk. Enjoy the van.

Re duvets, I'd only say it does depend a bit where you go.  Most of what others have said above is about right for UK. 

However, if you travel further afield you may find you also need something less insulating then a duvet. 

We have a couple of cellular blankets, one synthetic, the other cotton. 

We usually sleep inside an adapted duvet cover unless it is very hot, when we just sleep on the duvet cover.  Bit cooler - in the duvet cover (used like a big sheet sleeping bag), cooler still - add blanket on top of duvet cover, cooler again - add both blankets, and finally, if it's cold, remove blankets and put duvet over the top.  Freezing - the lot!

Caters for most eventualities, except the inevitable truth that nights always start warm and end up much cooler; so whatever you do, you always wake up in the early hours needing to add another layer!

Hi Kelly 58 We use a camping bedding set, it's made up of a double bottom sheet, top sheet and a thin duvet but all three can be zipped together so feels like a duvet set but the fact that it zips up gives the benefit of a warm sleeping bag (especially beneficial on a cold weekend in bridgewater with no van heating!). Bought it from Charles & sons Poole (£40)

To save the bulk of having to have a duvet on the bottom and top, just get a fitted sheet - the terry ones stretch to the right size normally, or you can make your own by stitching the corners of a double sheet to fit perfectly. It is easy to put on and take off and much smaller to stow than 2 duvets and you dont' get the 'baggy' bits gathering together in the middle of the bed as you turn over in the night. I adapted some fitted sheets for our fixed bed and it works a treat ... especially for winter when we put a small electric underblanket under the sheet, the sheet keeps it in place and we have a nice warm bed to climb into! :->

[QUOTE]michele - 2006-11-21 6:51 PM Brian , What did you use in that picture of yours . I bet it was cold there. (^)[/QUOTE]

Hello Michelle

Oddly, just the duvet.  The snow insulates and it wasn't windy.  It wasn't all that cold really, only about -1 if I remember.  I don't think we even left the heater going, because there wasn't any snow when we went to bed.  However, I did stick it on for about 20 minutes before we surfaced next the morning, when we discovered what had happened overnight!  Not at all what we were expecting mid April!

Archived