Dehumidifier for damp van

michaelmorris

We've just had a habitation check done on our van and it's identified high internal moisture levels along the length of roof/sidewall joint on one side. The engineer thinks it is likely to be caused by failure of the sealant along the awning rail. Whilst there is no outward signs of softening of the panels yet, we want to get it sorted pretty quickly.

He said he can fit us in in June to take off the rail and reseal it. He said that after the repair is completed much of the moisture should disappear, but that having a dehumidifier in the van would definitely help this process.

The problem we have is that the van is kept in storage, with no access to main electrics, so a plug-in dehumidifer is a non-starter. Can anyone recommend small passive dehumdifiers we can fit inside cupboards next to the damp areas? Solutions that don't require non-reusable desiccants would be preferred, but it's not a show stopper.

Thanks

I don't believe it would make any difference.

There are many holes in MHs and Caravans and a dehumidifier simply draws in moist air from outside!

It should obviously be repaired as soon as possible....I would look for another repairer, mobile or dealer fairly quickly!.

After a few days of warm weather it would dry if it was really well ventilated....however, I don't see that happening soon!!!

Hi Mike..

Is it under cover, whilst in storage?..if it isn't, it may be worth looking at running some tape over the "suspect" moulding?

To be honest, if the sidewall-roof joint is showing as damp, other than a decent spell of dry weather, or storing in a heated workshop (coupled with good ventilation, inside and out), I can't think what else would be of much use..

(I suppose you could use trays of those granules or of salt etc ? if that'll make you feel that you're doing something..? . ;-) not that I reckon it'd do much good).

EJB - 2016-04-12 2:06 PM

I don't believe it would make any difference.

There are many holes in MHs and Caravans and a dehumidifier simply draws in moist air from outside!

I think that is true for small domestic dehumidifier but an industrial one will draw out moisture much quicker than it can leak in. The insurers put 3 in 3 adjacent rooms after we had a water leak at home and they did the job BUT they were very noisy and we got through over £100 of electricity. Just as well I read the meter and got it back on the insurance :-D

As no-one has stated the obvious, I will. Your best bet is simple good old fashioned ventilation. Don't jeopardise your security but if you can crack open a vent or two, leave all the cupboards and lockers open, and do anything you can to encourage the circulation of air within the van, it will all help.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2016-04-12 5:43 PM

As no-one has stated the obvious, I will. Your best bet is simple good old fashioned ventilation. Don't jeopardise your security but if you can crack open a vent or two, leave all the cupboards and lockers open, and do anything you can to encourage the circulation of air within the van, it will all help.

AGD

*Ahem*...second paragraph of my first post - "...good ventilation inside and out.." ;-)

Archived