BUYING A NEWER MOTORHOME

Frankieshome1

I am close to buying a Bessacarr 462 2014 Motorhome. It looks spot on, the price is right so seems to good to be true. So with the saying if something seems to good to be true is right, does anyone out there know anything about the Bessacarr 462 2016 models that I should look out for or be aware of? I have now been Motorhoming for over a year and now know exactly what I need, this fits the bill. However when you are shelling out that sort of money you want it to be right. Thank you.

With any second hand van and particularly British built ones you need to do a thorough damp check and make sure the annual damp check have been done and the service book stamped accordingly.

Personally if buying a second hand van I would only risk my hard earned cash on a German built one.

Which ever make/model you look at, have a damned good "Google" for "issues"...

(..but at the same time , bear in mind that it's only the bad stuff that tends to gets posted..)

..I would also say, have a really good crawl around underneath them because the build "quality" on show there, is far more important than how "bling" their LED "mood lighting" may(or may not?) be.... ;-)

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, and don't yet have a motorhome, although I've been giving serious thought to buying one.

I need one that will be four berth, and like the rear lounge models, but many of them only seem to have two travelling seats. Is it possible to adapt the rear lounge seats so that it can accept belts?

Otherwise I'm thinking of a 6 berth (something like the Swift Escape 686), which seems a bit long.

Another aspect is insulation. I plan to be using it in winter, and how cold do motorhomes get (especially perhaps some from 2004 compared to more recent models that state they have an insulation grade of 3)? I'm planning on hiring a motorhome so I can have some idea, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much and I hope to be posting quite a lot!

Chris

Caledonian1976 - 2016-04-15 2:20 PM

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, and don't yet have a motorhome, although I've been giving serious thought to buying one.

1 I need one that will be four berth, and like the rear lounge models, but many of them only seem to have two travelling seats.

2 Is it possible to adapt the rear lounge seats so that it can accept belts?

3 Otherwise I'm thinking of a 6 berth (something like the Swift Escape 686), which seems a bit long.

4 Another aspect is insulation. I plan to be using it in winter, and how cold do motorhomes get (especially perhaps some from 2004 compared to more recent models that state they have an insulation grade of 3)..................................................

Chris

Hello Chris, and welcome.

Brief answers to your questions:

1 This depends a bit on your definition of a berth. If you are happy to convert a sofa to a bed, you should be OK. If you want 4 "proper" berths, either two doubles, or one double and two singles, without converting sofas, more difficult, and will result in a larger van. See 3 below.

2 Adding seat belts to non belted seats is not generally possible. In some cases, where vans were sold with the option of having additional belted seats it may be possible to add the necessary framework to carry the belts, but I would suggest only on recent vans, where the frame may still be available from the manufacturer. However, because of the amount of dismantling and reassembly involved, it is likely to be quite expensive to retro-fit.

3 What does your driving licence allow you to drive? The moment you get up to six berths, you are into largish vans (as you have noticed), and the bigger the van the heavier it will be so, if you are limited to 3.5 tonnes, it is highly unlikely you will get a 3.5 tonne van with six berths and a workable payload. They are made, and even sold, but trying to fit people, plus luggage, plus food, plus water etc, plus camping kit, into 3.5 tonnes at that size is not, IMO, realistic. You will either need a 4 tonne van (or thereabouts), or a smaller, lighter, one if you want to be able to avoid endlessly weighing everything and everyone to avoid overload. Also, be aware that each axle has its own load limit, and it is frequently the load on one axle (usually the rear) that causes trouble before the whole vehicle becomes over weight.

4 Use in winter, but where? For parts of Scotland, or Scandinavia, or into the Alps, you will need a van that is designed and equipped for severe winter conditions (-15C and below, with added wind chill). This means inboard tanks (water and waste), water and waste pipes and, heater ducts, and not infrequently, an enhanced heating system. You won't find vans designed for these conditions from UK manufacturers, and will need to look to the continental manufacturers. If only/mainly using in England, or the Scottish lowlands, and you are prepared to choose when you go with weather in mind, you should have no problem with UK manufactured vans, though many have underslung water and waste tanks (albeit with a tank heater installed - often as an extra), exposed water and waste pipes, and exposed heater ducts. Research the detailed specifications with great care - and don't rely on what dealers' sales people tell you!! :-)

Brian, thanks very much for your welcome and detailed reply!

I'm fine with having fold down beds using cushions.

Regarding winter touring; I had considered travelling throughout Europe for a few months around Autumn after my work contract ends, and then coming back and while finding a suitable fixed property, perhaps live in the motorhome for a month or two (however long it takes to get contracts signed; the whole buying thing). So that would be around the South East of England maybe in December. That would be as cold as I would want to risk!

Longer term, I would need four passenger seats and four berths (however they're created) because I'd be thinking of using the motorhome to take my two sons on holiday for a week or two.

My driving licence is a C1, so I'd need to pass a new test to drive anything heavier.

Thanks again for your advice.

Chris

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2016-04-15 5:03 PM

4 Use in winter, but where? For parts of Scotland, or Scandinavia, or into the Alps, you will need a van that is designed and equipped for severe winter conditions (-15C and below, with added wind chill). This means inboard tanks (water and waste), water and waste pipes and, heater ducts, and not infrequently, an enhanced heating system. You won't find vans designed for these conditions from UK manufacturers, and will need to look to the continental manufacturers.

Really Brian?.........Our biggest problem in our 1990 British built camper was in Brittany a few years back (when it was -15 and below, plus blowing a gale) was the tidly "Camping Gaz" bottle freezing 8-) ........

Mind you we do have a inboard tank......and just leave the cock open on the waste tank ;-) .......

Hi Everyone

I need one that will be four berth, and like the rear lounge models, but many of them only seem to have two travelling seats. Is it possible to adapt the rear lounge seats so that it can accept belts?

Otherwise I'm thinking of a 6 berth (something like the Swift Escape 686), which seems a bit long.

Another aspect is insulation. I plan to be using it in winter, and how cold do motorhomes get (especially perhaps some from 2004 compared to more recent models that state they have an insulation grade of 3)? I'm planning on hiring a motorhome so I can have some idea, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much and I hope to be posting quite a lot!

Chris

If you look for and end kitchen layout, you will get 4 seat belts as yo will have a dinette, which will have 2 seat belts The earlier Swift , ie Sundance as an example

A coach built will have overcab bed, Ok for Kids, or small adults

PJay.

pelmetman - 2016-04-15 6:40 PM

4 Use in winter, but where? For parts of Scotland, or Scandinavia, or into the Alps, you will need a van that is designed and equipped for severe winter conditions (-15C and below, with added wind chill). This means inboard tanks (water and waste), water and waste pipes and, heater ducts, and not infrequently, an enhanced heating system. You won't find vans designed for these conditions from UK manufacturers, and will need to look to the continental manufacturers.

Really Brian?.........Our biggest problem in our 1990 British built camper was in Brittany a few years back (when it was -15 and below, plus blowing a gale) was the tidly "Camping Gaz" bottle freezing 8-) ........

Mind you we do have a inboard tank......and just leave the cock open on the waste tank ;-) .......

Ah Dave, exceptions, exceptions! :-) But not normal. I thought the lowest recorded was around 1963, when it probably got near -15C in places. But then, can't plan for everything, can one? However, the OP would be well advised to go for propane, not butane - when he eventually gets his van.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2016-04-15 9:21 PM

pelmetman - 2016-04-15 6:40 PM

Ah Dave, exceptions, exceptions! :-) But not normal. I thought the lowest recorded was around 1963, when it probably got near -15C in places. But then, can't plan for everything, can one? However, the OP would be well advised to go for propane, not butane - when he eventually gets his van.

Sorry Brian I was exaggerating ;-) ...........

I'm suffering from a touch of the "remain camp politicians" :D ......

From memory there is an Elldis model with rear lounge that has lift-up rear seats. In reality only suitable for children / small teens. Disadvantages (IMHO) are loss of storage capacity & they are a long way back from the cab seats for any conversation whilst travelling.

Hi Everyone

I need one that will be four berth, and like the rear lounge models, but many of them only seem to have two travelling seats. Is it possible to adapt the rear lounge seats so that it can accept belts?...

Received wisdom is that retro-fitting seat-belts to motorhomes is inadvisable, but there is (at least) one UK company that offers the service.

http://seatbeltservice.co.uk/camper-van-seat-belts/

The link shows lap-belts added to a vehicle with a rear-lounge layout, but it needs bearing in mind that there’s often a lot of vertical movement at the rear when a motorhome is being driven, meaning that sitting there may not be the most comfortable of experiences. If you planned to seat passengers in the far rear of a motorhome I strongly suggest that you first confirm that they are immune to travel sickness!

As your C1 driving-licence entitlement allows you to drive vehicles with a maximum overall weight up to 7500kg, it would be wiser to forget safety-related modifications and purchase a motorhome that started life with the appropriate number of seats, berths and belts.

Archived