Best Way to sell Motor homes

PJay

We may have to sell our van sooner than expected (Sadly)

Where is best place to sell from? Don't want to much hassle, but as 10 years old , though well maintained, and annually serviced , don't want a dealer.

Having never sold one before, would like advice from some who have done so

We live in Hampshire, and as van is not kept at home, we would have to show it on site, or maybe bring it home, but would rather keep on site, as not a lot of space on our drive

Any helpful hints please . Also what extras would you leave in van, as we won't be replacing it

Which is the best way to get the money (assuming we got a buyer?)

PJay

I suspect yopu are entering a minefield. If you advertise it privately then you stand a good chance of receiving a lot of calls from people wishing tp purchase it................at a rockbottom price. You may also receive calls from people offering to sell it for you......again at a profit to them. My neighbout tried it but gave up after a week as his phone never stopped with what he called 'scam artists'. Now you may be lucky and find someoe genuine and often local word is best. If the van is stored somewhere then letting the owner know it is available may trigger a geinuine response.. Alternatively, get a dealer to sell it for you, with a cut to them of course. What happens is they will give you a price, which you receive on sale, which may be nothing like the selling price, but you escape the hassle.

Bluntly, value what you think it is worth, then probably half it for what you ight actually receive. However, again if there is someone local who just fancy's it, then you could be lucky.

As for paymernt, anothre minefield. Cash is always good, but bank transfer to your account is also good, but do not release the van until you are sure it is there and will remain in your account. Do not accept a bank cheque or bakers draft as these are notoriously fallible. If a buyer really wants the van, they will accept a few 'conditions'.

I wish you well.

Advertise on EBay (classified ad rather than auction) and set a realistic price (but allow for the inevitable chipping down which you will face by potential buyers) and either put a lot of effort into preparing it for sale yourself or even better get it professionally valeted - so carefully cleaned and polished and tyres blackened as well as spotless inside. Don't face buyers with any unrepaired faults, get them fixed.  List its features carefully and take as many pictures as you can.

Don't agree to reduce the price or give any indication of willingness to do so before they even see the MH, just politely insist that you will not discuss any price reduction prior to a viewing - which gets them to commit to at least turning up to look.  (If they refuse to come unless you do reduce the price they weren't serious potential buyers anyway.)  Don't let them drive it without proper insurance.  Don't part with it without confirmed payment.

If you aren't prepared to do the considerable work of selling it yourself, face up to handing it to a dealer to sell for you - selling on commission (i.e. you wait for your money) will give you the best achievable price.  Be realistic, the dealer needs a margin, including to cover the provision of a warranty.  He can offer the buyer finance, which you can't.  His premises gets a footfall of prospective buyers and your home doesn't.

A dealer will also get a better price than you can, so even after paying him his cut you will probably end up better off.

Good luck.

Thanks for replies Guys

Was hopeing some-one who has sold privately would share the experience. i though that now would be a better time to sell than waiting till later in year. have paid for site until march 2017, so no rush there. But due

to added health problems may not get much use this year, as we don.t go away in UK in van. also just put 4 new tyres , new MOT and full service , so spent a lot on it this year. So will not cost us anymore this year, at least

PJay

We have bought and sold on EBay (our caravans). It's simple and keeps your personal details secret until the transaction is completed.

If the buyer isn't satisfied with your pictures/descriptions they can always back out, the same as you can!

Take note of the payment warnings already mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

We used David Fuller as an agent to sell our first motorhome, a 15 years old Pilote R390, about 10 years ago.

We wanted a no hassle arrangement, and were satisfied with the service and financial.outcome.

The new owner was also pleased enough to write to us expressing his satisfaction.

I noticed on our visit to Peterborough show, that Dave Fuller is still in business, but I did not enquire whether or not he still offers the same service.

Hi Pauline, sorry to hear you are having to give up Motorhoming.

When I sold our last van I put on eBay classifieds as Stuart suggests I also listed it on Gumtree and Preloved and about 10 other free sites.

eBay was the only one I received sensible enquiries from, quite a few of the fraudulent emails from Gumtree (I work offshore and will pay full price without seeing it ), Pre love tended to be local responses from time wasters.

As said for payment only take bank transfer, the buyer can do it online when collecting the van and with the faster payment system the banks now use they can not reverse a payment but if you want to feel safe just transfer it to another account. Also don't take cash apparently if it is forgeries the bank can claim it back at the end of the day when they cash up, - how do they know it was your forged notes, not many people pay in X thousands in one go.

As for the extras don't offer them in the add but use them to clinch a deal, that's what I did, not worth the hassle of selling them separately for a couple of hundred quid more important to get the sale of x thousands.

Now is probably the best time to sell it, if it is a good van time of year won't effect the price but the longer you delay age of van will. More buyers at this time of year, also towards the end of the year buyers will look at it as another year older so that may effect the price.

lennyhb - 2016-05-05 10:01 AM

Hi Pauline, sorry to hear you are having to give up Motorhoming.

When I sold our last van I put on eBay classifieds as Stuart suggests I also listed it on Gumtree and Preloved and about 10 other free sites.

eBay was the only one I received sensible enquiries from, quite a few of the fraudulent emails from Gumtree (I work offshore and will pay full price without seeing it ), Pre love tended to be local responses from time wasters.

As said for payment only take bank transfer, the buyer can do it online when collecting the van and with the faster payment system the banks now use they can not reverse a payment but if you want to feel safe just transfer it to another account. Also don't take cash apparently if it is forgeries the bank can claim it back at the end of the day when they cash up, - how do they know it was your forged notes, not many people pay in X thousands in one go.

As for the extras don't offer them in the add but use them to clinch a deal, that's what I did, not worth the hassle of selling them separately for a couple of hundred quid more important to get the sale of x thousands.

Now is probably the best time to sell it, if it is a good van time of year won't effect the price but the longer you delay age of van will. More buyers at this time of year, also towards the end of the year buyers will look at it as another year older so that may effect the price.

Lenny

Thanks for your words.

I think we are keeping it this year now, but taking each day as it comes. Hope to go away later this year now. But as we have got older do not make plans to far in advance. Don't really want to go back to flying holidays, and do not like cruising (tried it a couple of times) May have to rejoin one of the clubs if we decide to stay in Uk more

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon, I sold mine thru hmmm 3years ago, pitched the price a couple of grand more that thepx price and got a buyer it was a lot less than retail. I reckon if you leave as many extras in that you will not need will make it a juicy buy norm

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2016-05-05 11:29 PM

I think we are keeping it this year now, but taking each day as it comes. Hope to go away later this year now. But as we have got older do not make plans to far in advance. Don't really want to go back to flying holidays, and do not like cruising (tried it a couple of times) May have to rejoin one of the clubs if we decide to stay in Uk more

Hi Pauline,

Sorry that you maybe giving up the camper.......after 10 years I suspect it'll be quite a wrench......

Will you still go back to Calpemar?.....I know it'll involve the dreaded Ryanair *-) ......but they do have the cabin's.

We really look forward to our winter home, as its quite a nice community of regulars........although I dunno what the Germans will think when I start parading around in my Nigel Farage T shirt following (hopefully) Brexit, they'll probably have me kicked off :D .....

Hi Dave

We have not used the van this year yet, partly due to health problems and also when we had a couple of spare weeks, we decided not worth going over to France, what with the fuel and the weather, over there. We hope to get away in September, to Calpe, keeping fingers crossed ! Don't want to give up yet, but will have to see how things go. Sadly time and the health related issues catch up , with all of us.

we don't plan long term, never have, just take things one step at a time.

I trust your plans are going well

P

Archived