Not displaying parking ticket on Aire

candapack

Recently stayed at Le Crotoy, the Aire at the harbour.

Bought a ticket, stuck it on dashboard, then later on closed the blinds!

Woke up to a notice saying I will be hearing from the authorities.

We kept the ticket we had bought, just in case.

My question is, am I likely to hear anything further, or, will my Reg. No. be on some system somewhere and they'll get me next time?

There’s no chance that the ‘authorities’ at Le Crotoy will be able to trace you via your motorhome’s registration number, and I very much doubt that they would bother to record the number just in case you turn up there again. (In any case, you’ve got the ticket to prove you paid the 6€ fee.)

There is no reciprocal data-sharing arrangement between France and the DVLA. Consequently, although you might well get an on-the-spot fine in France for speeding, if you just get caught by a French speed camera there will be no follow-up.

My understanding is that (in 2015) the French first minister Manuel Valls was proposing to introduce some sort of ‘virtual' driving-licence points system that could be applied to non-French drivers. There is a mention of it here

https://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_bientot-un-permis-de-conduire-a-point-pour-les-vacanciers-belges?id=9097979

That's very interesting Derek. On our last two winter trips to Spain we have been 'flashed' by speed cameras on a couple of roads in France. The first time I couldn't understand it as I was just leaving a roundabout and accelerating onto the dual carriageway, probably not over 80kph. Initially I was worried enough to email our daughter to keep a watch on the post back at the house for any official French correspondence but none came. My only other thought was that it may be the introduction of smart weight measuring carraigeways and that possibly my rear axle may have been overweight - but this would need the cameras to have ANPR linked to the DVLA database.

This year we were followed down and back by friends in their Motorhome which, unlike ours, is over 3500kg. On both journeys we were both flashed by cameras, again carefully under the speed limit although my friend perhaps should have been under 80kph on one of the roads (A63) but then every one of the many trucks were definitely over the 80kph limit and clearly were not setting off the cameras. At one stopover we spoke to another British couple who also asked if this had happened as they had also been caught on camera on the way down through France.

Again, nothing has appeared in the post for either of us so I am at a loss as to why the cameras were activated. One theory thT has been put to me is that the authorities may be using ANPR to track foreign registered vehicles as a security measure but I am not sure if that is either feasible or practicable.

Will see what happens this year.

David

I had a similar problem at le Crotoy last year. The Aire was almost full. Drove in and parked and set up. Walked back to buy a ticket. Spent a few minutes working out how to pay. In that short time the local police were knocking on the door when I got back to see my parking ticket.

Archived