Germany trip

Lizzie

We have never visited Germany so thinking our second big trip in the motorhome will include the Black Forest and possibly Mosel region. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stay/visit? As I am confined to school holidays, it will have to be in July and August - do you think we would still be able to turn up at sites or would need to book? If using Germany's versions of aires, are there any recommendations or are we unlikely to get a spot at this busy time? All suggestions gratefully received.

About 4 years ago, we did a similar trip - I think in peak season - and although some of the Aires (Stellplaetze in German) were busy, we always got on. The Mosel is a brilliant place for MHs - virtually every village has a Stellplatz, many excellent. Some are enormous fields on the riverbank (so are weather dependent to an extent.)

We found the Bordatlas book an excellent resource.

Lizzie - 2016-04-19 8:08 PMWe have never visited Germany so thinking our second big trip in the motorhome will include the Black Forest and possibly Mosel region. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stay/visit? As I am confined to school holidays, it will have to be in July and August - do you think we would still be able to turn up at sites or would need to book? If using Germany's versions of aires, are there any recommendations or are we unlikely to get a spot at this busy time? All suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Lizzie
Like others have stated, it's all dependent on what it is you want to base your holidays around.
We have toured Germany on a regular basis for the last 15 yrs or so. Mainly the south part. From Koblenz all the way down to the black forest - around Fussen - King Ludwig's castles.
Around the time that you are thinking of, with constraints of school holidays, the sites can get very busy, but you should still get a space. Be aware that they will pack you rather tight on camp sites. Same applies to the Stellplatz's.
You can wild camp on river banks for up to 3 days if that's what you want to do as an adventure.
As already stated, get the Board Atlas that lists all the stellpatz's in Germany.
Be aware of the city emission zones so you will also need to apply - very quickly and easily - for a Umwelt sticker for your vehicle, this will allow you to enter certain zones in the larger cities.
We have always parked up, and used their very efficient public transport systems when visiting cities.
You can PM me if you want some further information.
As already stated the Mosel region is like motorhome heaven, but again can get busy during the summer months.
Hope i have helped a little.

This sounds reassuring then and we will get the board atlas. I didnt realise it was permitted to wild camp - how do you know where is ok? Or do you just look out for signs saying don't do it then avoid there? So far we havent been off hook up at all so might be interesting! Prior to this year we have camped with a tent but only in uk and France so German campsites sound a bit more squashed.

Thanks for the advice.

Lizzie - 2016-04-20 7:23 PMThis sounds reassuring then and we will get the board atlas. I didnt realise it was permitted to wild camp - how do you know where is ok? Or do you just look out for signs saying don't do it then avoid there? So far we havent been off hook up at all so might be interesting! Prior to this year we have camped with a tent but only in uk and France so German campsites sound a bit more squashed. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Lizzie
Been off line, so not had chance to explain.
In Germany, we have always looked out for where other motorhomes are parked up. This was our initial approach. Over the years, we just look for a quite place mainly on the outskirts of little towns or villages. Just ask around and they will normally help with advice.
Last year we were near Miltenberg and just happened upon a fair in the town. Every car park was full, but found a small place near the river. After 1/2 hour we were joined by another 3 motorhomes!! Just make sure that you leave the place nice and tidy, taking any of your rubbish with you.
It really is that simples.
Just go with the flow and do what you feel comfortable in doing.
You'll soon get the hang of it and maybe even enjoy being self  sufficient, that's what it's all about
We now have had 2 large solar panels fitted, to give us some charge whilst without electric hook ups.
Hope this helps.
You can always PM me if you want some further information 

Archived