European Breakdown Cover with ADAC?

cruiser

Owning a 2004 motrhome, and living in Ireland, we were having problems getting decent European breakdown cover. Red Pennant seemed to be the only (expensive) option.

Having posted our problem, many members were good enough to reply, advising us to contact ADAC.

Reading their website, they seemed like the answer for us.....an excellent level of cover at a reasonable price.

I've posted their reply below, it seems they're not too keen on non-German business any more?

"thank you for your message and interest in joining ADAC.

Please note that the ADAC (Plus) membership provides a reduced range of services and benefits for members residing outside Germany. The classic membership covers breakdown assistance in

Germany only.

ADAC Plus members will not be entitled to benefits such as spare parts dispatch, vehicle customs

duties and scrapping, credits and cash service in Germany and in their country of residence.

In view of the above, would you please verify whether a local organisation offers a product that better suits your needs.

Under the FIA umbrella organisation, ADAC cooperates with other automobile clubs. We believe that your local automobile club might offer products that provide more comprehensive protection.

Please do not hesitate to get back to us with any questions."

We've replied, explaining our situation, and asking for details of what cover we could expect if we insisted on joining.

We'll keep you posted.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You can't join ADAC online but some friends of mine are members and below is a copy of an email they sent me on how you do it:

Hi

Thank you for your email. No you cannot actually buy it on line but if you email one of these ladies: amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de or ann-katrin.zintl@sby.adac.de giving them your telephone number and time you will be available to call you they will ring back, take your details, answer any questions you have and take payment by credit/debit card over the phone. They will give you your membership number and paperwork follows in approx 10 days. Then if you require the cover document in English I can email this to you.

Hope this helps. I can thoroughly recommend ADAC as we have been members for over 7 years and used them 3 times in 3 different countries with excellent service.

Bulletguy - 2016-04-20 1:18 PM

You can't join ADAC online but some friends of mine are members and below is a copy of an email they sent me on how you do it:

Hi

Thank you for your email. No you cannot actually buy it on line but if you email one of these ladies: amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de or ann-katrin.zintl@sby.adac.de giving them your telephone number and time you will be available to call you they will ring back, take your details, answer any questions you have and take payment by credit/debit card over the phone. They will give you your membership number and paperwork follows in approx 10 days. Then if you require the cover document in English I can email this to you.

Hope this helps. I can thoroughly recommend ADAC as we have been members for over 7 years and used them 3 times in 3 different countries with excellent service.

Hi. This is how I joined 5 years ago albeit it was all by email, no telephone. When I receive my renewal letter I type out a payment authority with my cart card number and fax it to them (my local office supplier runs a fax service). Hope that helps.

Peter

peterjl - 2016-04-20 7:37 PM

Hi. This is how I joined 5 years ago albeit it was all by email, no telephone.

If "Cruiser" emails either of those addresses, the procedure i laid out will follow. My friends joined recently and that's the exact copy of the instructions they were given to make application.

Well, I e-mailed 'Amanda' yesterday and just received the original brush-off reply again, as per my OP.

It looks like they just don't want to let me join. Hmmm...I'm a UK ex-pat....surely 1966 isn't behind this lol?

I'll try a fresh mail to the other conatact (Ann-Katrin) and let you know what happens.

Amanda wouldn't even tell me the reduced cover details, as I requested.

cruiser - 2016-04-21 9:51 AM

Well, I e-mailed 'Amanda' yesterday and just received the original brush-off reply again, as per my OP.

It looks like they just don't want to let me join. Hmmm...I'm a UK ex-pat....surely 1966 isn't behind this lol?

I'll try a fresh mail to the other contact (Ann-Katrin) and let you know what happens.

Amanda wouldn't even tell me the reduced cover details, as I requested.

Yes keep me up to date on it as if that fails i can put you in contact with my friends who are ADAC members and should be able to help you further, but that letter with email addresses is a copy of what they sent me.

I am a member & I always phone them on 0049 941 52344 and find them both helpful & charming when I renew & pay.

They even laugh at my jokes?

Renewed my membership in December with no problem.

Always better to speak to someone rather than e-mail in my view.

I have been a member of ADAC for around 5 years.

My membership includes medical cover (separate contract).

I joined simply by phoning them in Germany. The person I spoke to could speak English but as I also speak good German there was no problem.

The annual renewal is automatic once you transfer the annual membership fee to them.

The key point about ADAC emergency breakdown cover is that it personal and covers your family ie ALL vehicles in your family. There is therefore no need to give them the vehicle registration numbers.

I have, luckily, never had to use ADAC so that I can not make any comments re the effectiveness of their cover but I understand that in the UK they use AA!

A friend of ours has used them in France and they had nothing but praise.

I believe that they will only accept private vehicle emergency breakdown cover from UK residents.

One final foot note, the vehicle reviews in the ADAC web site are very comprehensive and much better than those in most car magazines. Unfortunately they have only reviewed a small number of motorhomes and virtually no vans.

Brabander - 2016-04-21 9:13 PM

I have been a member of ADAC for around 5 years.

I have, luckily, never had to use ADAC so that I can not make any comments re the effectiveness of their cover but I understand that in the UK they use AA! A friend of ours has used them in France and they had nothing but praise.

My friends who are ADAC members had the misfortune to breakdown whilst in France last year. They were 'tuggers' then so had their caravan on site but had to have a gearbox replaced in their car. ADAC helped them no end liasing with the Garage in France who were really dragging things out. Unfortunately they had to wait a week or so before they could have a hire car, then had to pay the rental up front though that was reclaimed once their car had been repaired.

ADAC told them had the breakdown occurred in Germany they would have had a rental car the same day and not had to pay any fee out either.

I hope "Cruiser" gets sorted and maybe has seen the number the other ADAC member put up. Hopefully "Cruiser" will return to the thread and let us know how he went on as i'm also considering joining.

No progress today. I mailed ADAC this morning, confirming that I was prepared to accept a reduced cover scenario.

I've heard nothing back, if there's no reply by tomorrow morning then I might ring the number Stalwart mentioned and start afresh.

Weird situation....it's almost as if they don't want me to join!

I'm hurt.

Can I also add that although I paid the intial fees by credit card I pay the annual membership by bank transfer using the invoice they send me. I know others use a credit card but I have found the bank transfer works well. Yes, there is a small fee for the transfer but it is still good value.

Progress at last! I rang the number recommended by Stalwart ( he has an uncanny resemblance to Alfred E Newman BTW. Mad! ) and spoke, in English, to Ann-Katrin.

She was unaware of any problems and promptly emailed an application form.

I filled this in, including my payment details, and sent it straight back.

Now I'm sitting by my laptop with fingers crossed.

Update to follow.

Either way, many thanks to Stalwart. The email address I was given is different to previous addresses:

adac-regensburg@sby.adac.de

cruiser - 2016-04-22 5:34 PMSorted! We're members....all done online.Just use the email address I used, , or introduce yourself first on the phone number Stalwart posted.Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.The Forum saves the day...again!

Tony - I'm blushing old chap, but glad you got it sorted.  

Incidentally "Stalwart" is not my name, that is Jeremy (or user name laimeduck). 

Stalwart denotes that I have made a few posts on here - hopefully some of them useful? - (and yes it is Alfred E Neuman!)

• 3 weeks later...
We emailed Ann-katrin at ADAC on Sunday evening, Monday morning received form by email, printed it off, filled it in, scanned it and emailed it back with our card details. Email has arrived this morning (Wednesday) to say that we are now Members. How's that for service. By the way the first payment for a couple on the Plus service is 113 euros 109 euros on renewal.

I was going to sign up with ADAC but unfortunately didn't get the form before my insurance was up so had to go with breakdown on the same insurance i use. However reading their t&c's does concern me as i sometimes travel outside EU countries.......and that's limited to 45 days from leaving home.

In the European area of coverage, cover extends to travel which at the time of the incident did not exceed 92 days in duration since departure from the place of residence. Outside the European area of coverage, cover extends to travel which at the time of the incident did not exceed 45 days in duration since departure from the place of residence.

Bulletguy - 2016-05-11 4:51 PM

I was going to sign up with ADAC but unfortunately didn't get the form before my insurance was up so had to go with breakdown on the same insurance i use. However reading their t&c's does concern me as i sometimes travel outside EU countries.......and that's limited to 45 days from leaving home.

In the European area of coverage, cover extends to travel which at the time of the incident did not exceed 92 days in duration since departure from the place of residence. Outside the European area of coverage, cover extends to travel which at the time of the incident did not exceed 45 days in duration since departure from the place of residence.

Not a problem for us as we will not venture out of the EU.

By the way, if anyone wants the form and T&Cs then just email me as I have saved them on the computer.

Archived