damp maby

nicole

(?) have a floor that dips a bit outside the shower Peugeot highwayman 1 1996 about to buy any thoughts. about to have a second look.but a bit unsure it does not smell. first camper.. can I change gas to gas insterd of propane. their will be more questions ;-)

nicole - 2016-04-20 9:03 PM

(?) have a floor that dips a bit outside the shower Peugeot highwayman 1 1996 about to buy any thoughts. about to have a second look.but a bit unsure it does not smell. first camper.. can I change gas to gas insterd of propane. their will be more questions ;-)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Nicole.

Regarding your question “...can I change gas to gas insterd of propane”, I’m guessing that you were asking whether you can use butane gas instead of propane gas. If my assumption is correct, the answer is Yes but (where a 1996 motorhome is concerned) it’s likely that you will need to swap the present propane-suitable gas-regulator for a butane-suitable one.

This link may help

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/regulators

but it's worth observing that propane is an all-year-round gas, whereas butane is potentially unsuitable for camping in very cold weather conditions.

A dip (or ‘sponginess’) in the floor may be sign that the floor’s internal structure has delaminated or rotted. This would be serious fault and (as gcro warns) the floor - and the motorhome as a whole - should be thoroughly inspected by someone competent to do this. This is after all a vehicle that has been in use for two decades...

What you should also do is obtain this book (your local library may be able to source a copy if you don’t want to buy it)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Using-Maintaining/dp/0857331248/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

This provides a general background to motorhome technicalities (water, gas, electrical systems, etc.) and should help to reduce the steepness of any new motorcaravanner’s learning-curve.

Guest pelmetman

Hi Nicole, welcome to the asylum :D .......

As previously mentioned it could be due to a rotten floor, but as the shower on a Highwayman is at the rear by the door, it could also be due to step fixings which have de'laminated the plywood floor, as we had a similar symptom of sponginess by our entrance door, which was due to Autohomes counter sinking the step bolts into the floor, which effectively mean't the step fixings were only supported by half the floor thickness *-) .........

Much easier to fix than damp though, especially if you have a competent DIYer in the family ;-).....

Butane gas burns hotter, so you use less of it. It is about 13% more efficient than Propane. It is also generally cheaper, but as Derek says tends to be unusable at temperatures below about 5 degrees.

If you take into account the lower cost and greater efficiency, overall it can work out about 25% more cost effective.

I used to have a Caravan with a Fridge that worked really well on Butane, but never seemed to get so Cold on Propane. It also seemed to 'soot' up more when running off Propane.

Not really provable, but I suspect that Fridges running on Butane, because the flame is hotter, keeps the burner clean?.

Butane has a stronger odour in it's natural form, so easier to smell a leak, so some consider it safer?

I am a bit of a Blue Bottle Butane fan.

If you can keep your Gas bottle locker above 5 degrees, Butane can be used most of the year.

I have just converted a Caravan so that the Water barrel submersible pump tubing runs via the front locker, then out under the locker door to the Water barrel which sits next to the Draw Bar.

This allows the Water barrel to be lifted inside the front locker next to the Gas bottle to provide some 'Winterisation' which the Gas bottle also benefits from.

The front locker has it's own small bore Hot Air feed from the main system to keep both the Gas and Water from freezing on all but the coldest nights. The warm air is ducted in at the top of the locker to reduce the risk of Gas leeching into the Habitation Area.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-04-22 7:56 AM

aandncaravan - 2016-04-21 10:52 PM

...Butane has a stronger odour in it's natural form, so easier to smell a leak, so some consider it safer?...

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/654-the-smell-of-safety-odourised-gas

I have a similar safety feature :D ..........as everyone usually leaves the room (lol) ......

Archived