BBC2 Caravanner of the year

spospe

Violet1956 - 2016-04-21 12:52 PMAndrew Billen gave it four out of five stars in The Times today. Have recorded it and will get round to it as soon as I feel like having a laugh. One great quote was to the effect that awnings are "divorce in a bag". :-D

I enjoyed that quote too.  Clearly in the minds of CC you cannot be a candidate for Caravanner of the Year unless you can put up an awning, regardless of whether you actually own or use one.  All a bit forced (and oriented towards caravanners) really.

The CC Chairman came over as seriously anal about judging the presentation of the vehicles, donning white gloves to seek out evidence of the tiniest specs of hidden dirt!  I enjoyed the look on his face when he ended up with the towing vehicle's drive wheels off the ground and grounded the tail end of his caravan badly, ripping a panel off, when trying out a sloping access track which the motorhomer had just sailed up, no bother.  Insisting that the co-pilots drove one of the difficult reversing challenges when some of them had never driven the vehicles, let alone reversed a towing outfit was a bit silly too.

At least the three couples who got through to the final came across as nicer people than Chairman Greville!

Guest pelmetman

The clip where they showed the CC rally sent shivers up my spine 8-) ........

Especially when the Hidehi announcer came on the tannoy system :D ......

One of the participants even mentioned a fire bucket (lol) ....

It was billed as a showcase for the Caravan Club - to get more people to take up the pastime? 

More like a substandard production of Carry on Camping 

Chairman Greville, aka Captain Mainwaring is the epitome of why I am not a member of that organisation. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. 

laimeduck - 2016-04-21 2:41 PMIt was billed as a showcase for the Caravan Club - to get more people to take up the pastime? 

More like a substandard production of Carry on Camping 

Chairman Greville, aka Captain Mainwaring is the epitome of why I am not a member of that organisation. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. 
Have to agree, no longer a member.As for the co pilot reversing a caravan , when one was his 80+ mother !! And another one did not know his right from left , when telling his partner which way to turn.And as for the chairman bottoming his caravan ! well !!I would not be surprised if The CC&C get a few more joining.PJay

I think we've seen the consequences of someone who thinks he was convinced he knew what he was doing falling for an old journalist's trick and being made to look very, very foolish as a result.  The film shots of him donning his white gloves for his inspection of the camping units, complementing the correct orientation of the hub cap badges and making a real mess of towing a caravan up a slope, ending up with driving wheels in the air and the back end of the caravan damaged, were priceless.  He must be really kicking himself.

But The Caravan Club is no longer a club except in name and its corporate structure is now more like a self-serving oligarchy run by a bossy few - and I'm not referring to the elected committee of members.  I see them as more of a puppet show; the real power is in the non-elected managers. 

It will be interesting to see how this episode pans out.  I would guess the Chairman will have to go, and that will be no bad thing, he has emerged as a figure of comedy so he will pay the price.  This will be convenient for the non-elected managers, who will want a scapegoat.  

I doubt much else will happen.  The episode will fade into history as the unfortunate consequence of a non-executive officer of the Club being allowed too much scope for personal initiative and the non-elected managers will resume conducting themselves to their own entire satisfaction, bolstered in their grip on the organisation - a bit like a bunch of EU Commissioners.

But The Caravan Club runs some very nice Club Sites and has an attractive network of CLs, so maybe we should be content with that for our £40 or so per year so-called membership fee.

StuartO - 2016-04-22 9:22 AM But The Caravan Club runs some very nice Club Sites and has an attractive network of CLs, so maybe we should be content with that for our £40 or so per year so-called membership fee.

I agree with that.I wonder if anyone has ever thought of making a programme with that theme ?( ... and maybe they could even mention the pleasures of touring on the continent ) ;-)

StuartO - 2016-04-22 9:22 AMI think we've seen the consequences of someone who thinks he was convinced he knew what he was doing falling for an old journalist's trick and being made to look very, very foolish as a result.  The film shots of him donning his white gloves for his inspection of the camping units, complementing the correct orientation of the hub cap badges and making a real mess of towing a caravan up a slope, ending up with driving wheels in the air and the back end of the caravan damaged, were priceless.  He must be really kicking himself.

But The Caravan Club is no longer a club except in name and its corporate structure is now more like a self-serving oligarchy run by a bossy few - and I'm not referring to the elected committee of members.  I see them as more of a puppet show; the real power is in the non-elected managers. 

It will be interesting to see how this episode pans out.  I would guess the Chairman will have to go, and that will be no bad thing, he has emerged as a figure of comedy so he will pay the price.  This will be convenient for the non-elected managers, who will want a scapegoat.  

I doubt much else will happen.  The episode will fade into history as the unfortunate consequence of a non-executive officer of the Club being allowed too much scope for personal initiative and the non-elected managers will resume conducting themselves to their own entire satisfaction, bolstered in their grip on the organisation - a bit like a bunch of EU Commissioners.

But The Caravan Club runs some very nice Club Sites and has an attractive network of CLs, so maybe we should be content with that for our £40 or so per year so-called membership fee.

I fully agree. The CC has long since stopped being an actual Club, probably about he same time the AA stopped saluting you from their motorbikes, and is a commercial organisation exactly like any other. Therefore if you wish to use it, you pay the subscription. I do this just so I can use the sites, the rest is of little interest to me. I similarly pay to use ACSI.

There has been, after 67 pages of almost entirely scathing criticism from Members and many calls for the resignation of the Chairman, a response on the CC forum from a staff spokesperson:

"Hi everyone,

We appreciate you taking time to contact The Club and we have taken on board the points that you raise. 

Reviews of the Caravanner of The Year programme in the national media have been, in the very large majority, positive. The amount of coverage that we have received equates to over 30 million of the general public having had the opportunity to see, hear or read about The Caravan Club – this is unprecedented in The Club’s history.   BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show presenter, Chris Evans, talked positively about the programme, two days in a row.  The day after the programme he said ‘what a show… it was brilliant last night… we’ve got another Bake Off on our hands’.  The BBC One Show also invited participants, their vehicles and judges to be on the show where we took the opportunity to talk about the many benefits of our pastime and encouraged people to get out and explore the great outdoors. 

The overwhelming sentiment on social media following the airing of the programme was positive, and we ranked fourth in Twitter trends on the night. Many of our industry colleagues in caravan and motorhome manufacturing and retail have actively engaged in supporting this initiative.

We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry you were disappointed with the programme."

Somehow the term Cloud Cuckoo Land springs to mind!

So - the MEDIA put on a programme taking the p*ss out of caravanners - and the MEDIA loved it !

Surprise - surprise !.

They simply confirmed their own view of caravanning.

It seems that the club believe in the old saying that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

:-(

The whole of the first episode of Caravanner of the Year can currently be viewed on BBC IPlayer and, if you haven't seen the priceless clip of the CC Chairman trashing his caravan and uttering the phrophetic words "I think I'm in trouble here", this can also be seen on YouTube here:

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2016-04-22 10:28 AM
StuartO - 2016-04-22 9:22 AM But The Caravan Club runs some very nice Club Sites and has an attractive network of CLs, so maybe we should be content with that for our £40 or so per year so-called membership fee.

I agree with that.I wonder if anyone has ever thought of making a programme with that theme ?( ... and maybe they could even mention the pleasures of touring on the continent ) ;-)
I dont *-) .........Imagine the business model catching on, where you charge folk 40+ quid for the privilege of paying for their services 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2016-04-23 10:18 PM...... I don't imagine the business model catching on, where you charge folk 40+ quid for the privilege of paying for their services 8-) ...........

Apparently it's £48 per year and they have over a million members.  That figure presumably includes family members because the Chairman said in the programme that they have a turnover of £150,000,000 per year.

The program was wrong in quoting 1 million members

The Clubs website quotes:-

Membership of The Caravan Club currently stands at just over 375,000 families, representing around one million caravanners, motorhome owners and trailer tent owner

This assumes that each "membership" accounts on average for about 2.6 persons. It is not clear to me how that figure is arrived at because the Club have no legal right or mandate to represent children (who will no doubt be included in such families). Furthermore there will be a proportion of solo members who clearly are that, not a family.

The CC bye-laws define a member as "a Full Member, a Joint Member, a Family Member, a Life Member, an Honorary Life Member or an Overseas Member." The CC will know how many children use the sites because of its fee structure although whether they've done the calculation is debatable. Most caravanners, especially those on rallies, tend to be younger family groups.

I gave up watching the programme when I realised potential Caravanners of the Year could not navigate around the Ferry Meadows site to their pitch.

Violet1956 - 2016-04-21 2:40 PM

I see Tracker hasn't been on line yet to discuss this expose of his favourite organisation. He may be grateful for the additional grist to his mill provided by the likes of the CC club's equivalent of Mr Mainwearing.

I didn't watch it, I have no interest in it and I don't care what other campers do as long as it does not affect me!

We have several tugger friends and we enjoy the banter with them over the pros and cons.

I doubt I will ever see the need to rejoin the CC unless my camping needs alter to suit the style of site and services they offer - and that seems unlikely as of today!

Live and let live.

That said I do appreciate that many thousands of people DO like, trust and enjoy the CC style of leisure so they must be doing something right and so I wish the CC and their very happy customers (customers - not members!) all the best in developing and enjoying their style of camping.

Archived