Novice Motorhomer!!

Tricks

Hi all, my family and I have hired a Swift 686 motorhome for 7 nights and had hoped to do a tour of Cornwall. However, the motorhome will be our only form of transport and after some research it appears that almost all council car parks do not permit motorhomes to park (not overnight, just for a couple of hours while we visit the villages and towns). As we are complete novices when it comes motorhomes I am hoping to be inspired!!.

I contacted the council and visit cornwall as well as local visitor centre's and all were very unhelpful!

If anyone could advice I would be enormously grateful.

Many thanks

Have a look here, http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/conw.htm

There's usually somewhere to park, but probably not too many council pay and display car parks.

T'other week we decided to go to Truro from Crantock, decided I couldn't be bothered with trying to find a parking place and went on the bus, IIRC was £6 return for two of us, cheaper than driving + parking.

A good tip for St Ives (in car as well as van) is park up at Lelant Saltings and catch the train

witzend - 2016-04-22 8:51 PM

For Truro I've seen motorhomes parked in the park an ride parks for visiting the town I'm afraid the Council are very anti motorhomes and not surprised they offered no help.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/parking/cornwall-council-car-parks/motorhome-parking/

Nice, very 'Welcome to Cornwall' Then. No wonder most on here flock to Europe.

Unfortunately not all of us can use Public Transport , Disabled with a Dog, answer seems to be 'Pixx off then ! '

Rayjsj - 2016-04-22 9:44 PM

witzend - 2016-04-22 8:51 PM

For Truro I've seen motorhomes parked in the park an ride parks for visiting the town I'm afraid the Council are very anti motorhomes and not surprised they offered no help.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/parking/cornwall-council-car-parks/motorhome-parking/

Nice, very 'Welcome to Cornwall' Then. No wonder most on here flock to Europe.

Unfortunately not all of us can use Public Transport , Disabled with a Dog, answer seems to be 'Pixx off then ! '

Whilst it is annoying that the council have resorted to these measures, I can well understand why, too many people taking the piss for too long. For me cornwall is a place to be avoided in summer apart from when I 'm 'dragged' down there for the family holiday, but out of season will usualy visit at least once a year.

BTW I've parked illegaly in the past in France, sometimes it's the only way to get a 'nice' parking spot to lunch at overlooking the sea.

Hi, We have toured Cornwall in a motorhome and managed quite well on public transport to visit towns and villages. Most campsites will advise you on local bus services, Can you take bikes?? Hire companies will usually fit you a rear cycle carrier.

One last piece of advice....Take extra care if using a sat nav.... Some of the roads in Cornwall are extremely narrow with no places to turn round!!!

Have a great time. :-D

<<< A good tip for St Ives (in car as well as van) is park up at Lelant Saltings and catch the train >>>

Hi,

I drove my Mazda 4x4 double-cab through that narrow bit on the way down to the car-park. I do not know how much room was left ... I was sweating on it, but was reluctant to reverse all the way back through the traffic.

£14 each to look at some seals, and £4 each to look at an empty stage (or even just get into the café) makes us reluctant to return. I visited the King Arthur museum 60 years ago ... it doesn't seem to have changed.

Somehow I missed the NO CARAVANS sign at the bottom of Porlock, but my 1957 Land Rover didn't seem bothered. *-)

Tricks..

You used to be able to "overnight" in the *main car park in Tintagel.("King Arthurs?) for around 3 quid.

We never "overnighted", but there were certainly no barriers or "bans" when we've parked up there.

Here you go....

http://www.campercontact.com/en/united-kingdom/south-west/tintagel/9871/motorhome-parking-king-arthurs-car-park.aspx

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tintagel,+Cornwall/@50.6642527,-4.7512196,218m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x486b830ced235ff1:0x219476ff5a85aa6a

W3526602 - 2016-04-27 9:10 AM

<<< A good tip for St Ives (in car as well as van) is park up at Lelant Saltings and catch the train >>>

Hi,

I drove my Mazda 4x4 double-cab through that narrow bit on the way down to the car-park. I do not know how much room was left ... I was sweating on it, but was reluctant to reverse all the way back through the traffic.

£14 each to look at some seals, and £4 each to look at an empty stage (or even just get into the café) makes us reluctant to return. I visited the King Arthur museum 60 years ago ... it doesn't seem to have changed.

Somehow I missed the NO CARAVANS sign at the bottom of Porlock, but my 1957 Land Rover didn't seem bothered. *-)

I think you may have got locations mixed up, last time I was at Lelant Saltings station car park our XLWB Ducato was one of the smallest vans there,

As for the rest, yes the same old tourist spots are still about, we don't as a rule go anywhere near them, if it's on one of those leaflets 'twenty things to see in cornwall' we avoid at all costs.

But that's the same for most places, some years back we where walking the local greensand ridge walk on a bank holiday, hardly saw a person until we got to Woburn, there the cars where stuck in big traffic jams with people trying to get in a antigues fair.

I would not as a novice consider going to Cornwall in a hired motorhome there is a good chance you will brush the sides on hedges which may not be a great concern if you own the motorhome as you could probably polish them out but the hire company will consider it as damage with the subsequent problems.

There are other areas of the UK that are motorhome friendly all round.

Cliffy - 2016-04-27 3:46 PM

I would not as a novice consider going to Cornwall in a hired motorhome there is a good chance you will brush the sides on hedges which may not be a great concern if you own the motorhome as you could probably polish them out but the hire company will consider it as damage with the subsequent problems.

There are other areas of the UK that are motorhome friendly all round.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper, but not only do I agree with Cliify's comments, I also believe Cornwall could be one of the most stressful places in the country to travel for a 'Novice Motorhomer'.

No offence to anybody who lives there, but we normally avoid the county in the van. Driving the single track roads in the Highlands and Islands is far easier from our perspective. Different ball game if in a car, but a wide van with steep-sided narrow lanes and loads of unforgiving holiday traffic - no thanks.

:-(

Archived