X250 mirror glass fitting

spospe

I have just cracked a mirror glass and wish to fit a replacement (not the whole unit, just the glass). I got the old unit out easily, but am having difficulty in persuading the replacement (a genuine Ducato labelled part) to go in place.

The mirror seems to fit onto a circular boss that houses the motors for mirror adjustment and there seems little possibility for error in alignment. I was expecting the new mirror to "click" into place, but after much pushing and gentle thumping the glass still keeps falling out of the housing.

Is there a specific way to fit these glasses, one which avoids cracking the new and expensive mirror before it can be used?

Soon after taking delivery of my MH I managed to hit the front of the OS mirror on a road works post. The knock popped both mirrors from their respective housings and were left with only the wires to avoid them crashing to the ground. I centralised the mirror lenses in the plastic bracket and with the palm of my hand popped both back into place with no problem. The small lower mirror was in fact cracked and still managed to go in without further damage. Based on my experience I would not be too concerned about applying a little force to pop them into place. I have since replaced the cracked lower mirror with a "gold plated" OE item as the cracks were a not too shuttle reminder of carelessness. Cheers,

Thanks guys, I have done as suggested and (using a fair bit of force) pushed the new glass into place after turning the mirror in so as to face the side of the van as much as possible. I had originally tried centring the moving part of the mechanism, but this did not seem to aid seating of the new glass and I found that it appeared to 'click' into place easier after adjusting as described.

I was not at all happy with the amount of force needed on such a thin bit of glass!

Archived