GRP repairs?

Crumpleton

Hi everyone. I am hoping and praying that somebody out there can give me some helpful advice. In a moment of careless stupidity I have managed to reverse Stanley, my pride and joy into a piece of garden furniture resulting in a nasty split at the bottom of the rear panel. (Please see photo). Stanley is a 2011 Autocruise Starfire. It seems that the rear panel is constructed from GRP which I understand IS repairable. The question is where should I go to get a decent quote? I imagine that general auto repairers do not have the facilities to handle a vehicle of this size and motorhome dealers would charge the earth! To be honest I am a bit lost and would welcome any input. I live in Staffs. Thank you.

Damage.thumb.jpg.4de2bc24df5d1bdef1cf60893317e5fa.jpg

It's a very straightforward repair for anyone working in the grp trade. After rematching the surface and reinforcing the back I would prefer a gelcoat fill and and fairing with, probably, a very slight colour mismatch to the longer term disadvantages of having a paint respray.

I ran a grp kayak manufacturing for over 10 years, it should take no more than 3 hours plus a bit of curing time.

Kev

Thank you so much for all your replies. I feel very re-assured by your comments Kevina about it being a straightforward repair. Maybe it won't turn out to be too expensive after all !! It seems that Cannock Resprays is definitely worth calling first thing on Monday. Thanks for that.

Any other recommendations in the Stoke area please?

You would be better off trying some boat repairers as Kev says they will use gel coat and no spraying, these days they can colour match gel coat.

You think you got problems, look at my handiwork, one of my neighbours is a boat repairer reckons won't be a problem.

P1060297.JPG.0c48a95055140059b7390321f6a2ee95.JPG

Archived