Any suggestions for an under 6metres MH with 4+ berths?

LucyK

Hello wise motorhomers

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 yr, 7 yr) looking for a compact low profile MH under 6 metres and wandered if anyone had some suggestions? We fell in love with a Hymer 522 5 berth but it was cat D and decided (after some brilliant advice from this forum!) it was too risky to buy but now looking for something similar within our budget £30,000. We would ideally would like a separation between the sleeping spaces, such as fixed bed at back and pull down over cab. It will be used all year round so needs to be winterised. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Would have thought that a coach built over cab would be better IMO. A fixed bed takes up a lot of space, and in 6 metre , does not leave much floor space. With young children , that is a consideration.Also better an end kitchen, to keep cooking away from where the kids may be sitting Don't forget that it does RAIN, and they need space to play. I would look for second hand van to start. You would loose money on part exchange with a new van. Get some use in , then when you really know what lay out suits you, go for an upgrade.

Wish you luck in your search, and keep on asking on here, great lot of people, with years of knowledge between them

PJay

Is the 6 metre limit an absolute must have, for example because of driveway limitations?

I ask because we went from 6 to 7 metres this year, and have noticed no great difference in driving, parking, or siting. But the extra space is great.

Can't comment on ferry or Chunnel costs, but then I look on them as a relatively insignificant part of overall motorhome ownership and use.

That 3 feet or so will give you a much wider choice. Good luck.

PJay - 2016-04-24 11:03 AM

Would have thought that a coach built over cab would be better IMO. A fixed bed takes up a lot of space, and in 6 metre , does not leave much floor space. With young children , that is a consideration.Also better an end kitchen, to keep cooking away from where the kids may be sitting Don't forget that it does RAIN, and they need space to play.

PJay

Whilst I agree about the overcab, I think you are missing how useful fixed beds can be with children.

If you are intending erecting an awning, then one open space inside the van is ok, but with no awning then for me it's a none runner. being able to have the kids at one end of van whilst you are at other end is the way to go.

I would go for a slightly bigger van. Once you hit 6m, then it is too big for every day use as a car as well and the driving difference between a 6m and 6.5m etc is very little.

I would go for one with bunk beds for the children to use. We have a Hymer classic, which is a 6 berth van, 2 bunks at the back, big double over the cab, and then the dinning area makes into a small double. This works very well for our family of 3! My wife and I use the over cab double, which can be left made up, and our daughter on of the bunks at the back. This works fab, as the beds are all left made up, and the arrangement means that when our daughter is asleep in bed there is a curtain she can draw and we cans it and read etc without disturbing her.

The Hymer is a great make and the quality of fixing etc is fab.

Have a look at this one, which is very similar to ours, just newer.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/hymer/622-cl/2009-hymer-622-cl-c-class-diesel-boundary-road-mfpa-2c929a7a5244914801525f6bd56d711c/berth/4/berth/5/berth/6/numberofseats/4/numberofseats/5/numberofseats/6/numberofseats/unspecified/layoutbed/fixed-bunk-beds/motorhomeprice/20000/39999/makemodel/make/hymer

Will

Hello,

Thank you all for the advice so far.

Yes, 6metre was because of ferries, parking, drivability and storage. We will be using it to go to France and Spain in summer and uk/Scotland. We will be storing it at a farm when not in use. But we want something that we can squeeze down village roads if need be..

But great to know a tiny but bigger won't make that much differebce driving wise.

Best

Lucy

Hello Lucy, have a look for late nineties and early noughties Hymers such as the 544. Cost you well under £30k and will be 6m.

Since then, motorhomes have got longer! If you can stretch to 6.3m, then you can buy a later Hymer 544. The 544 layouts vary but will be a drop down bed - with curtain, and two singles below - one which can be made into a double. Rear kitchen and rear side bathroom. Fully winterised. It provides beds for 4/5 and plenty of seating room.

Our 2005 year 544 was 6.4m long and 2.27m wide [excluding wing mirrors]. Suited us with two boys and a dog. You'd get one of this age in good nick for less than £30k so if you want to splash the cash, you can go newer. Obviously it wouldn't go down roads with a 2m [6'6"] width restriction but it was narrower than a bus. Loading margin was around 400kg to 450kg so it will be enough if you pack sensibly. Great visibility for drivers and passengers.

An A-class with the drop down bed gives you more room in less length but make sure you are happy with a dropdown bed. The alternative is the coachbuilt with the kids over the cab.

I think ideally we want a fixed bed/bunks at the back and then either a drop down bed or one you make up out of seats at the front, so we can have a slight separation between where kids sleep and us. The suggestions are great though and it's given us lots of food for thought! Thanks

Have a look at the variants on the Dethleffs Globebus "I" series. They are similar to the Hymer Exsis in that they are only around 2.15M wide, have the pull down front bed, and are available with various rear bed arrangements. They have been around for a number of years, so should be available within your budget if you can find one with the layout you want.

There is/was, IIRC, a Burstner Nexo or Ixeo model with a forward mounted, possibly longitudinal, drop down bed, plus a Chausson model or two with similar layouts. These, from memory, are all around 2.3 / 2.35M wide, and are coachbiults (so retain the Ducato cab).

The drop down beds do compromise the use of lounge or kitchen space when lowered, so you'd need to assess that aspect.

Don't think any of the above provide separation of front/rear areas by any significant means, but may give you some food for thought.

Re the funny Exsis, if it's still for sale in a month's time, make a cheeky offer! You never know. ;-)

Archived