Where to pick up gas bottle post tunnel..

GraemeM

Hi,

Off to France next week. I have read a fair bit here about picking up French style gas bottles.

We have space for 2 X 6kg. Does anyone have advice on where past the tunnel is good to pick up new bottles (not exchange) and a French style regulator to match.

I understand you normally use the camp site address as your French address?.

Thanks

Graeme

GraemeM - 2016-04-25 6:29 AM

Hi,

Off to France next week. I have read a fair bit here about picking up French style gas bottles.

We have space for 2 X 6kg. Does anyone have advice on where past the tunnel is good to pick up new bottles (not exchange) and a French style regulator to match.

Thanks

Graeme

Graeme you may have seen from my posts that I asked a similar question about obtaining propane in France. We went to an Intermarche and entered into a contract for a Butagaz Le Cube and gave our UK address no problem. Le cube needs different connectors (pig tail and snap on adapter) than on the UK so it may not suit you if you have no time to source them in the UK before you leave. There was however a wide selection of gas in various bottles and sizes at a small intermarche in a village. I was given lots of advice when I asked about the availability of propane in France particuarly avaiability at Intermarche. If you just put my moniker Violet1956 in the search field you should find the entire thread really helpful. We once went to a much larger intermarche and found however that they did not do gas so beware it can be a bit random. A nearby Auchan fortunately had a large selection of gas and we were able to exchange our cylinder there. As I say best to check out the thread I started for a full exposition of a wide range of opinion and info on this topic.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Veronica

:-)

We have a La Cube bottle that we change when needed in either Boulogue (Lecluerc) or Bergues (Intermarsh or Lecluerc), in fact will be doing that in just a couple of weeks as the Le Cube is empty. Normally have a Calor and the Le cube with us and that lasts for 8 weeks in the summer mainly like 5 days out of 7 on aires & french passion sites. Just keep the correct pig tails on the bottles and takes seconds to change. B-)

Almost any super market, I use Intermarche their all over France and listed in my sat nav most of the larger ones sell regulators in store or pigtails if you have a bulkhead mounted regulator some ask for address some don't but a campsite one will be fine.

GraemeM - 2016-04-25 6:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks

Graeme

If you have a standard 30Mb bulkhead regulator fitted with a propane pol pigtail you don't need a French regulator or a new pigtail, just purchase a pol to 21.8 adaptor (which enables you to connect your propane pigtail directly to a French cylinder) - see HERE. (http://gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA12wdPL3VpEo2yeji99X5rALkObaBJ24T8QUUmZJ_8hlkaAlAS8P8HAQ), though there are many other sources in UK.

As for buying French gas, I always use Intermarche's own brand as (a) it's the cheapest available, and (b) they have 1800 branches throughout France so there's always one nearby. If you are going South from the tunnel down the A16, the Intermarche I use is their big one at Marquise at Junction 36 on A16 - the co-ordinates are: 50.824163, 1.708797 - see HERE: (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/50%C2%B049'27.0%22N+1%C2%B042'31.7%22E/@50.8258471,1.7041943,471m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en-GB)

My gas locker takes 2 x 6Kg Calor Propane, but I find that I can leave one of the Calor's at home and fit in an Intermarche 9Kg Propane in place of the other - the dimensions are 490mm High x 300mm Diameter, but most places will let you try one for size if you ask. I have never been asked for a French address, either on the first purchase or on exchange, at Intermarches, and the consigne (deposit) on the first bottle is only €1. Naturally I use the Intermarche gas and only change over to my Calor cylinder when it runs out and switch back immediately it is replaced.

Like another poster said, all the Intermarche branches are included in my satnav anyway (as are al other supermarkets), so it's easy to find another branch.

HTH.

Archived