Cracked acrylic window

someshds

Well not exactly a crack, but the result was similar. Many years ago my MH came under fire from an air gun/rifle near Sherwood Forest. The pellet made a hole in the outer pane.

I found a company near Halifax, Yorkshire who would make a copy of the window.

It was a sliding window and if I remember correctly I found it easier to remove the whole window to extract the sliding part.

The other alternative is to fit an OEM replacement part. Try Ebay or Google for suppliers. I managed to obtain a replacement dome for a Heki Midi roof light last year.

I hope that this helps.

Depends where the crack is. If only a small one, and not too noticeable I would just put some strong clear tape over it. We bought anew window for our over cab , and that cost £200.00 some years ago ! On that age van you may have a problem getting one to match

PJay

I have spent ages searching just for a replacement windows ( a standard size) - excluding frame, but not had any luck. I have not actually telephoned a supplier or contacted that lead that was posted for making obsolete parts. I just live with it.

I had assumed that just a window pane would be cheaper than a complete unit and less hassle to fit?

Would appreciate any advice or leads that your thread receives.

Fred

dipsticks - 2016-04-26 9:09 AM

We had a cracked sliding window on our Auto-Sleeper and obtained a replacement from AS (lucky their last one)

They said to obtain anymore they would go to the firm in Halifax mentioned above.

http://www.eeco-ltd.co.uk/

It was exciting !! to fit but worked well for us.

Good luck

I got a rare replacement window made by eeco , i had to send them the old window, and they made a perfect replacement, this was for a 1988 Autosleeper. It fitted perfectly and was exactly the right shade of tint, recommend them, reasonable cost too.

How large / long is the crack ?

If you want a temporary / permanent repair and you cannot obtain a replacement window, you could try an adhesive but most will turn the acrylic foggy. However, a few modelling suppliers have produced their own glues specifically designed for clear plastic parts and these are called ‘canopy’ glues. They tend to be less viscous and so it is easier to apply them in small amounts. They do not affect the clear acrylic and by drying completely clear, any excess is almost invisible. One such product is Humbrol 'Clear Fix'.

Alan

Hi, I don''t know which make of van that you have so this may not be of any help but here goes.

I had a Swift Sundance 2010 model and a young hooligan threw a piece of tile at one of my rear windows when I was in Spain about 3 years ago and broke the outer skin and cracked the inner layer.

on my return I did consider "the Exhaust Ejector" company at Halifax but fortunately before ordering I asked my local caravan dealer whether they could get one from Swift and they managed to order for me.

The cost was £159.00 which I think was very reasonable. So perhaps it'll be worthwhile for you to try through your conversion manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Colin

Archived