DVLA tax renewal

paulmold

I have been following this thread with amusement, or maybe it should be incredulity, AFAIK there are three things we need to ensure the vehicle is legal on the road, Insurance for which the company sends a reminder, Road Tax for which the DVLA sends a reminder, and MOT which I get no reminders and am reliant on my own means to ensure it gets done. How have I ever managed to get my vehicles MOTed for the last 45 years without a sticker in the windscreen I'll never know!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin - 2017-04-06 8:01 PM

I have been following this thread with amusement, or maybe it should be incredulity, AFAIK there are three things we need to ensure the vehicle is legal on the road, Insurance for which the company SHOULD SEND a reminder, Road Tax for which the DVLA SHOULD SEND a reminder, and MOT which I get no reminders and am reliant on my own means to ensure it gets done. How have I ever managed to get my vehicles MOTed for the last 45 years without a sticker in the windscreen I'll never know!

Colin

I’ve quoted your posting, but modified it to reflect the true situation...

There is always the possibillity that, even if the insurance supplier or the DVLA does send a reminder, the reminder will not reach you. Relying on reminders carries risks and, many years ago, my wife’s car was inadvertently driven uninsured for a couple of weeks when the insurance provider’s system glitched and no reminder was sent. When I noticed that the car’s insurance had expired I immediately visited the provider (a local broker) to renew the policy and mentioned that we had not received the usual reminder. They apologised, saying that there had been system problems. I replied that there was no need to apologise as it was my responsibility to ensure the car was insured not theirs, and 100% my fault that the vehicle had been driven illegally.

Since then I have written the three significant dates you’ve mentioned (when tax, MOT and insurance are due) on a piece of card and placed this behind the vehicle’s sun-visor. My 2015 Ducato and 2009 Skoda car both have a handy ‘strap’ on the rear of the driver’s-side visor (the Ducato’s strap is conveniently transparent) and the reference-card can be slid beneath the strap as an aide memoire. (This ploy could also be useful for motorcaravanners who don’t immediately know their vehicle’s dimensions.)

Archived